1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help to identify the predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pacnu, Dec 31, 2015.

1. pacnu

pacnu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Cannon County, TN
    We've lost two small chickens recently to something that made no noise, ate the heads and necks but left the bodies and left no tracks. It's been raining like mad here and mud is everywhere. The attacks have happened right up next to the house. I live in woods though. I thought raccoon, hawk or owl maybe. Today the attacker left this behind. Now I think I have a vicious rabbit on the loose. Anyone know what left this? Do I need to start looking for holy hand grenades?
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  3. pacnu

pacnu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Cannon County, TN
    This was during the day today. The rabbit was a Monty Python reference.

I had searched for pics of raccoon scat and this didn't match anything that was coming up. Of course it doesn't match the hawk or owl pellet pics either.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those were not left by the predator killing your birds. Looks like deer or rabbit pellets.

I would suspect something like martin, weasel, or raccoon is getting your birds.

5. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
  6. yabigolchicken

yabigolchicken New Egg

Dec 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    More than likely a possum. They will kill and eat the head leaving the remainder behind.

7. loujeany

loujeany Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    last week a friend of ours watched a hawk come down and take the head right off one of his chickens. with it being during the daytime and you living near the woods i would have them as a prime suspect. its not 100pct but normally a possum, coon, owl or mink will get them at night. Coyote and fox will usually take them with them or eat a lot more than the head unless they were run off.

8. pacnu

pacnu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Cannon County, TN
    I know there are owls, raccoons and possums around but I've never seen any of them out at noon.

Hawk it must be. Haven't seen any of them around here. Anyone know if putting up fake owls will help deter them?

9. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Someone posted a picture of a hawk sitting and resting on top of a fake owl, so that's a no.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hawks can and do actively prey on owls. So besides being ineffective as a hawk deterrent, a faux owl may even troll up more hawks, at least the hawks that make a living by killing chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by