Need help to identify the predator

pacnu

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 8, 2013
Cannon County, TN
We've lost two small chickens recently to something that made no noise, ate the heads and necks but left the bodies and left no tracks. It's been raining like mad here and mud is everywhere. The attacks have happened right up next to the house. I live in woods though. I thought raccoon, hawk or owl maybe. Today the attacker left this behind. Now I think I have a vicious rabbit on the loose. Anyone know what left this? Do I need to start looking for holy hand grenades?

This was during the day today. The rabbit was a Monty Python reference.

I had searched for pics of raccoon scat and this didn't match anything that was coming up. Of course it doesn't match the hawk or owl pellet pics either.

last week a friend of ours watched a hawk come down and take the head right off one of his chickens. with it being during the daytime and you living near the woods i would have them as a prime suspect. its not 100pct but normally a possum, coon, owl or mink will get them at night. Coyote and fox will usually take them with them or eat a lot more than the head unless they were run off.

I know there are owls, raccoons and possums around but I've never seen any of them out at noon.

Hawk it must be. Haven't seen any of them around here. Anyone know if putting up fake owls will help deter them?

Back
Top Bottom