Need Help Translating Necropsy Report

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i found my duck Ellen dead last week. i took her body for a necropsy. i received three reports - a preliminary, another one, then a final. My regular vet is on vacation until the first of July. i have a call into the doctor at UC Davis that performed the necropsy. But wondering if anyone here can shed some light. It sounds like they initially thought she had ovarian cancer and infected fallopian tubes. The final report sounds like the e-coli was the cause of her death. But they also mention "large numerous pedunculated masses attached to the mesosalpinx and serosa of the oviduct". Could that mean she was laying internally? i'm just very concerned that whatever the primary reason was for her death, that i take steps to ensure my other ducks (and chickens) do not suffer the same consequences.

G ro s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
Examined was a hen duck that was named “Ellen” and was identified as being two years of age. The duck is in fair post-mortem condition. The coelomic cavity is distended due to multiple (10-12) fluid-filled pedunculated masses attached through the entire length of the oviduct. The largest mass is 5 cm in diameter, thin-walled and contains cloudy yellow fluid. The remaining masses are similar and slightly smaller. The masses are attached to the serosa and mesosalpinx. The oviduct is occluded by yellow, laminated, caseous exudate. The ovary is enlarged, dark red with hemorrhage on the surface and multiple ova up to 2 cm in diameter, some of which contain dark red fluid. The base of the ovary consists of multiple, white, firm nodules up to 3mm in diameter. The coelomic cavity contains a small quantity of yellow cloudy fluid. The pedunculated masses attached to the oviduct are displacing the intestinal tract toward the right side and dorsally. No remarkable gross lesions are noted in the digestive tract. The spleen is grossly unremarkable. The liver is yellow and friable. The lungs are grossly unremarkable. No other remarkable gross lesions are identified.

6/19/2013:
The gross changes in this duck are unusual. The large numerous pedunculated masses attached to the mesosalpinx and serosa of the oviduct are presumed to represent implantations of neoplastic ovarian tissue, but histologic examination will be required to establish this. The ovary is quite large and hemorrhagic with multiple, variably-sized cystic and often blood-filled similar pedunculated masses. The oviduct is occluded with organized exudate (salpingitis). Various tests are in progress and another report will be forthcoming.

6/20/2013:
On the histologic examination, the serosal cysts attached to the oviduct were not neoplastic but rather are chronic inflammatory changes containing fluid exudate. The oviduct has extensive chronic and active inflammation which extends from the lumen through the wall. There are large numbers of bacteria within the exudate and a bacterial etiology is presumed to be involved in this salpingitis. The ovary has no evidence of neoplasia. There are multiple hemorrhagic ova, some with organizing hematomas with pleocellular inflammation.

6/24/13:
All tests are now completed. E. coli and mixed bacteria were isolated from the oviduct. E. coli is a common cause of salpingitis.

Oh, sad for your loss of Ellen.

hugs.gif

I am not a vet or vet tech, but have read some necropsies for my ducks.

From what I read, and checking to be sure I understand what some of the terms are, your Ellen died from the results of an infection in her oviduct. There were perhaps a dozen cysts, they were not cancerous or pre-cancerous tumors. Looks to me like somehow, E. coli got into the wrong place and her body developed inflammation and cysts. There was bleeding, apparently, and bruising internally.

If we have any veterinary people I would hope they would check in soon, too.

i found my duck Ellen dead last week. i took her body for a necropsy. i received three reports - a preliminary, another one, then a final. My regular vet is on vacation until the first of July. i have a call into the doctor at UC Davis that performed the necropsy. But wondering if anyone here can shed some light. It sounds like they initially thought she had ovarian cancer and infected fallopian tubes. The final report sounds like the e-coli was the cause of her death. But they also mention "large numerous pedunculated masses attached to the mesosalpinx and serosa of the oviduct". Could that mean she was laying internally? i'm just very concerned that whatever the primary reason was for her death, that i take steps to ensure my other ducks (and chickens) do not suffer the same consequences.

G ro s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
Examined was a hen duck that was named “Ellen” and was identified as being two years of age. The duck is in fair post-mortem condition. The coelomic cavity is distended due to multiple (10-12) fluid-filled pedunculated masses attached through the entire length of the oviduct. The largest mass is 5 cm in diameter, thin-walled and contains cloudy yellow fluid. The remaining masses are similar and slightly smaller. The masses are attached to the serosa and mesosalpinx. The oviduct is occluded by yellow, laminated, caseous exudate. The ovary is enlarged, dark red with hemorrhage on the surface and multiple ova up to 2 cm in diameter, some of which contain dark red fluid. The base of the ovary consists of multiple, white, firm nodules up to 3mm in diameter. The coelomic cavity contains a small quantity of yellow cloudy fluid. The pedunculated masses attached to the oviduct are displacing the intestinal tract toward the right side and dorsally. No remarkable gross lesions are noted in the digestive tract. The spleen is grossly unremarkable. The liver is yellow and friable. The lungs are grossly unremarkable. No other remarkable gross lesions are identified.

6/19/2013:
The gross changes in this duck are unusual. The large numerous pedunculated masses attached to the mesosalpinx and serosa of the oviduct are presumed to represent implantations of neoplastic ovarian tissue, but histologic examination will be required to establish this. The ovary is quite large and hemorrhagic with multiple, variably-sized cystic and often blood-filled similar pedunculated masses. The oviduct is occluded with organized exudate (salpingitis). Various tests are in progress and another report will be forthcoming.

6/20/2013:
On the histologic examination, the serosal cysts attached to the oviduct were not neoplastic but rather are chronic inflammatory changes containing fluid exudate. The oviduct has extensive chronic and active inflammation which extends from the lumen through the wall. There are large numbers of bacteria within the exudate and a bacterial etiology is presumed to be involved in this salpingitis. The ovary has no evidence of neoplasia. There are multiple hemorrhagic ova, some with organizing hematomas with pleocellular inflammation.

6/24/13:
All tests are now completed. E. coli and mixed bacteria were isolated from the oviduct. E. coli is a common cause of salpingitis.

Although I have read the report I kind of felt that was what they were getting at that she was laying internally Hopefully your vet can explain it in lay mans terms please let us know what he says, and very sorry for your loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salpingitis

"Salpingitis is an infection and inflammation in the fallopian tubes."

Looks like any number of bacteria can be involved. I don't know how you could have noticed, prevented, or treated it. I'm sorry you lost Ellen but it doesn't seem to have been from any oversight on your part.

The liver description though, as 'yellow and friable' makes me wonder if she didn't also have another condition: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...ty_liver_hemorrhagic_syndrome_in_poultry.html

Might be a heads-up if your flock is a bit chubby?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salpingitis

"Salpingitis is an infection and inflammation in the fallopian tubes."

Looks like any number of bacteria can be involved. I don't know how you could have noticed, prevented, or treated it. I'm sorry you lost Ellen but it doesn't seem to have been from any oversight on your part.

The liver description though, as 'yellow and friable' makes me wonder if she didn't also have another condition: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...ty_liver_hemorrhagic_syndrome_in_poultry.html

Might be a heads-up if your flock is a bit chubby?
Interesting

The doctor who performed the necropsy did call me back. Ellen had an chronic, long term infection of the ovary and fallopian tubes. There was also internal laying. When i asked what came first, if he could even tell, he said he would suspect the infection came first. Ellen was a Golden Hybrid 300, which were bred to produce a large volume of eggs. i have read that chickens and ducks who are bred for production can be more susceptible to internal laying. He didn't mention the liver. i have had two chickens die of a ruptured liver. One silkie who was just a year old. The necropsy said the condition was hereditary. i also lost the sweetest little Phoenix hen a while back from the same thing. The necropsy said she was obese, with large fat deposits. She didn't seem overweight to me. My personal vet, after looking at the reports said that some chickens just carry more fat than others. i think perhaps she was trying to make me feel better, because with every death i want to find out if i am doing anything wrong that i can correct. i did try getting a different scratch with no corn, but the chickens didn't like it. Still would like to look into mixing my own to get a healthier blend.

This has been a very rough patch lately. In the past month, i have lost four beloved pets - our 19-year-old cat, our Cindy Lou crested duck with neurological problems, Ellen, then just last week Jeanne, one of our original Sebastopol geese. i'll post about Jeanne over in the goose section. Her death was especially hard as she was so young and had such a devastating disease.

Anyhow, i digress. i really appreciate all the information and condolences. i wish i could have done something to help Ellen. She was a really sweet duck.

I also want to know what more I could have done when I lose an animal. We have lost two to egg yolk peritonitis, and in the depths of my heart I feel that we (humans) could do better than just say "oh, well."

Thank you for sharing the necropsy. It helps us all learn.

hugs.gif

I'm sorry you lost Ellen, but I don't know what you could have done otherwise if you were feeding them healthy, appropriate feed.

I also wanted to comment on the Fatty Liver Syndrome. I think I've seen a few dumped park ducks die from that as well from years of an extremely poor diet. They begin to act tired and lethargic before they die and often sleep a lot and even walk around with their eyes closed, often wobbling.

Back
Top Bottom