Need help understanding local ordinance please....UPDATE :)

Says you can have up to 50 fowl if you have at least two acres, is what I'm reading. Chickens are fowl, in case they didn't know that.
roll.png
The conditional use on under 10 acres says to me that they can make larger setback requirements, etc, but I'm no lawyer.

Thanks for every one's opinions.

I took the conditional use part to mean they could require me to have additional setbacks or buffers, etc. I'm going to call the township tomorrow and see where I get on the phone with them. They just made our neighbors up the road get rid of their two roosters after another neighbor complained, but I don't think they had the required property size based on what I can see when I drive by and how close they are to other houses. But we're pretty isolated at my end of the road and I definitely can put a coop within their requirements.

I don't want to cause trouble for my other neighbors that have animals, but the people across the road have too many horses for their property and no one says "boo" to them, so why give me a problem about 6-12 hens? I also am afraid to get the township mad at us since we have an addition under construction that still has to be inspected and approved when its done.

I'll let you all know what happens, but keep your fingers crossed I can get my chickens!

UPDATE - Finally got a chance to call the township for clarification, I can have chickens once I apply for a conditional use permit (cost is anywhere from 200 to 400 bucks), than it takes about 2 months to get approved. Since we are looking to get chicks in the spring when it warms up again here I need to make sure I apply over the winter. I also have to apply for a permit to build the coop, another 50 bucks, so I'll probably do that first.

So I can get my chickens!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom