1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with 2 birds...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shadowhills Farm, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    [​IMG]

First thought he was a Hybrid, then thought he was a Jersey Giant (and we got DQed today because of it:(), and now looking at pics of White Rhode Islands, we think he might be one of those....but not sure!!

[​IMG]

Looking for the breed for the small, brown duck. Too small to be a Rouen and today we took her to the show and she is "too big" to be a Mallard....help?

Thanks!

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    My other guess for that cock would be White Plymouth Rock. I don't know about the duck.

3. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    cock is a white leghorn.

4. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    If it helps you, they are both about 7 months old.

I saw pics of the White Leghorns, but they look so small compared to him. He probably weighs a good 12-15lbs. Saw some White Plymouth Rocks today, they don't have the same tail as he does, and they were a tad bit bigger than him.

Thanks for the help! I can get better pics of them tomorrow [​IMG]

ETA: Just saw that the Leghorns in the pics have yellow earlobes, his are white.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    The roo looks like a White Rock. Sorry, I can't help with the ducks.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well the rooster looks to have white shank/legs so that kicks out the White Leghorns, Rhode Islands White, and White Rock.
    If the shank/legs are white I would say it is a hatchery White Orpington..
    As for the duck it looks like a Hatchery Rouen they are knowen to be a bit on the small size. Rouen should be as big a a good Appleyard or Pekin around 9 to 12 pounds..

Chris

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Agree with Chris, but I have to say that the overall body style says Cornish X to me. The white legs say Orpington. But, the DQ was spot on. He is not a Jersey Giant.

8. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    if you wouldn't mind but is it stander or
    bantams because if its stander it could
    very well be road island whites but if bantams
    it could be a white rock bantams

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Your correct in it's not a leghorn..they always have white ears and that guy has red ones...body shape wrong size wrong.
    Doesn't really look like our sc RIW's but does look a lot like my daughters pet Cornish Rock-other than those legs... also about the same age as yours and as large..his legs do look white though or are we just seeing that because of lighting?

10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Leghorns earlobes are White, but the roo posted, his body size rules out any type leghorn or leghorn cross.

The earlobes are red in the pic. posted in post 1, are his shanks/feet yellow or white?

The three that I come up with are White Rock, SC RIWhite and White Orpington if it is a RIW the reason you may have gotten DQed is for comb type, theyr'e supposed to be Rose Combed. And before I get clobbered for saying that "I know they come in single combed varieties but that is not Show Quality and is a DQ."

If he does have white feet then I say Wt. Orpington even though the feathers are a little tight for Orps, he's probably a hatchery bird also. Orpingtons are loosely feathered and look more squatty than the bird in the pic. and not so long in the back area.

Now after all that if he's got yellow feet then I say most probably(just going with the odds ) he's a Wt. Rock and he pobably got DQed for wrong type/size. A Show Quality WR (what they look for in them) is way big, almost freakishly big for rocks as most of us know them.

catdaddy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by