Need help with 2 rescue hens

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
I’m in the middle of a poultry rescue. I’ve been treating most of the flock for bumblefoot. I’ve also brought home 16 of the chickens and a duck due to severe overcrowding ( 50+ chickens in a run for 15 to 20 & 7 Pekin ducks with 1 mallard 5 month old in a 6’x10’ run with no housing, 10 larger white turkeys with 5 small red turkeys in the same size run as the ducks ), appalling conditions (coop and run hadn’t been cleaned in 2 years with no bedding anywhere and the ducks were in at least 1 ft of mud and poopy water ).

I've rehomed the Pekin and divided the turkeys between the 2 runs, I’ve rehomed all but 24 chickens.

The question I have is on 2 of 16 hens I’ve taken in because they were in extremely bad health. Two of hen I brought home I put into dog kennels in a dark and quiet place and the others I have in quarantine. The 2 hens have conditions I’ve never had to deal with before. The first hen we’ve named Stumpy. They said she escaped from the coop and was attacked by something. My guess is a raccoon. She had her wing ripped off. When they found her they didn’t treat her for the injury and just put her back in the coop with the others.
6857A1C7-319F-45DD-A3C3-8AB041A9080E.jpeg
41E381EB-6139-497B-ABFD-CFEB14B75951.jpeg
1 week after they found her, I was called in and took her home immediately. The stump of her wing was still bleeding when I got her. I cleaned and removed all debris. For 8 days now, I’ve been applying peroxide and Vetericyn. I’ve attempted to wrap her wing but she keeps removing the bandage. Is there anything else that I need to do or change in my treatment of her?

The second hen has a prolapsed vent. It was covered in about a 1/2 inch of poo and dirt. After doing 3 days of soaking her in water/apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes twice a day, I finally got it cleaned. The second day after treating her I did have to remove an egg from her vent. Thank goodness it didn’t have a shell. Today she laid another egg but it had a shell and now she’s bleeding slightly from the vent. I’ve been using Vetericyn for the bleeding and Prep-H to decrease the swelling and try to get her vent back in with no luck but with it being swelled (looks like one side of the vent is larger them the other side so I don’t know if I should wait for the swelling is down before trying to push it back in? When I do try pushing it back in she resists by baring down. Below is how it looks right now.
BD809A9D-E63C-446F-BA22-DD7BC185CB53.jpeg
3AF8859A-9212-464D-93C8-15E32EA8D579.jpeg

Sorry to go into such detail as to the conditions of the rescue but I figured it might be important. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. The last thing I want to do is have to cull either hens. They are such sweethearts.

Oh gosh....poor birds!!! You have a heart of gold for rescuing them!! :hugs

I really can't offer you anymore than encouragement and empathy for you and them. I would be very concerned about shock right now so I would definitely keep them warm, don't try and cool their area right now. I wish you all the best with them, they are in good hands with you. :hugs

Hopefully Kathy @casportpony can offer advice.

Let me tag a few others too....

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous

Thank you for taking these chickens home to help them. For the prolapse, honey can be good to help reduce the swelling, so that it can eveentually be pushed back inside. Hydrocortisone cream or hemorrhoid cream is also used by some. Keep the prolapse internal tissue moist so that it does not dry out. Do you give them a layer feed or offer crushed oyster shell for calcium? If not, she may need half of a Tums or calcium tablet orally for a couple of days. Here is a good article about prolapsed vents:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

For the one with the missing wing, I would stop the peroxide, since it can prevent healing and damage tissue with repeated use. Saline, Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) mixed with water, or weak betadine are all good to clean the wound, and then apply a coat of plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day.

Oh gosh....poor birds!!! You have a heart of gold for rescuing them!! :hugs

I really can't offer you anymore than encouragement and empathy for you and them. I would be very concerned about shock right now so I would definitely keep them warm, don't try and cool their area right now. I wish you all the best with them, they are in good hands with you. :hugs

Hopefully Kathy @casportpony can offer advice.

Let me tag a few others too....

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous
Thank you!

Update:. Stumpy and Hope are doing so much better. Since posting on the 14th I've been treating them both with Vetricyn and Poultry+Aid. Stumpy's wing is just about healed and amazingly enough once the swelling went down her vent started going back in pretty much by itself. I have been checking her daily for egg blockage since she dropped 2 eggs since the 14th. I guess withholding the amount of light and only feeding them All-Flock she hasn't dropped anymore eggs. I've been letting them out in my hospital run for exercise and fresh air for about 7 hours a day, which they are enjoying a lot. Here's some pics of them from today. 😃 20200821_100628.jpg 20200821_101204.jpg 20200821_100636.jpg 20200821_100832.jpg

Back
Top Bottom