Need help with a garden bed dimensions. GEOMETRY EEEEEEEEEEEEEWW!!

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
Hey ya'll I'm working on a all pink garden. It is going to be a raised bed (I've got nothing but Carolina clay and chicken poop!) I want to shape the bed like a Pink Ribbon for Breast Cancer. Problem is, my geometry skills stink!

Here is a pic of the bed I want to make http://www.crafttestdummies.com/2008/10/06/pink-ribbon-quilting-for-breast-cancer-awarenss/ (it's actually a quilt block pattern) I want the center of the ribbon to be the acutal bed. I want it to be 6ft from side to side (so I can reach the middle without standing on soil) I will be building it out of 4x4's.

Any of you mathmaticians out there wanna try figuring this one out?

ETA-- the sides of the bed don't have to be as wide as the ones in the pic. They can be a narrower (is that a word?) ribbon

Last edited:
If you want the ribbon 6 feet wide, make each small square in the pic 1.5 feet x1.5 feet then your ribbon will be 9 feet long and you can follow the existing pattern.
big_smile.png

Well the easiest way to do it is, go ahead and print it and then bring an engineer scale Ruler and try to do your masuringthat way, usualy every print made on squers has a scale, unfortunately they did not write it this time, but while the squers are the same size then you can put the length you need and go from there.

Omran

All the straight edges of the squares should be 1.5 feet long.
All the diagonals of the squares should be 2.45 feet long (2 feet and 5.4").
You can obviously add these amounts together and cut longer pieces of wood where possible.

The rectangular pieces in the back need to be 3 feet long each.

I think you'll need a miter box to cut the angles.

What a great idea!

I would make the individual squares 2 feet. Then the open center of the ribbon will be 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.

If you go 6 feet wide, I think you'll have a much harder time reaching to work in there. Try working in some garden beds in a comfortable way and measuring your reach. I definitely made one of my raised beds too wide, when I moved in here. I can work in there, but it's not comfortable.

If you really want to go 6 feet wide, then make the individual squares 3 feet. In that case, the open center of the ribbon would be 6 feet wide and 7 1/2 feet long.

I think narrowing the width of the lighter pink portion of the ribbon by half would be a nice change, as a garden plan.

Back
Top Bottom