need help with a sick chicken

what EXACTLY are the hen's symptoms?

do either of them have wheezing?

describe thr droppings...color and consistency..

I'd go with the Tylan 50 injectible..ASAP.
(or baytril, erythromycin or LS-50)
injectible works quicker.

Last edited:
Buying birds from sales is usually a dangerous thing--- you are quite possibly buying someone else's sick culls. Or you are buying a bird that was healthy, but has been exposed to 50 other sick birds- if you choose to buy a bird from an auction/sale- be sure to strictly quarantine it from your other birds, until you are convinced it is healthy. It takes me several weeks to convince myself, and I avoid buying from places where there are birds from multiple sources and mixed in the same area. Recipe for bringing home something infectious.

You have likely brought home some ugly disease along with your new chicken- coryza, mycoplasma, something viral, parasitic worms ect. The treatment depends on the problem. If you want to know for sure- take your sickest bird, and have it tested. This is a free or close to free service, depending on where you are. I did see a link at the top of this group page on finding your state vet, they can tell you where to send the bird (this does mean you have to send a dead bird). Since you do not know what the problem is beyond he is struggling to breathe- all you can do is 1) take him to a vet that will see chickens 2) or go to the feed store and buy supportive vits/electrolytes, antibiotics and dewormers. 3) or cull him. Coryza recovered birds are reservoirs/carriers. Mycoplasma is basically impossible to eradicate once it is in your flock. Very glum picture for getting this bird better and not having long term problems with your flock, as it is probably not worms, as you have another sick chicken.
tongue.png

Good luck, jess

Hello all,

I realize this is an old thread, but if anyone's listening, I could use some advice.
I've a 6 month old Barred Rock who seems to have a cold. She struggles to breathe, stretching her neck with her beak wide open. Sometimes there's a rasping sound on the intake, but I can see nothing obstructing her airway. There's no discoloration in her throat, her eyes and nose are dry, but she's very weak and keeps her eyes half-closed. Her droppings look normal - soft/solid green and white.
I've separated her from the flock and force-fed her about 10 mL of a a very dilute salt/sugar water. She will not eat or drink on her own.

Back
Top Bottom