need help with abandoned duckling

Britesea

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
My Khaki Campbell got broody and managed to hatch out one duckling yesterday morning. This morning she was up and about and the baby was following her happily. Just a few minutes ago I went out and the baby wasn't with mama anymore. I looked around and found it- wet and lying limply in the shade. I've gathered it up and tried to coax mom to take care of her baby but it seems like the switch turned off. I took the baby inside and set it up under a lamp with some water and food and it's perking right up. DH doesn't think we should risk trying to get mom to accept the baby now, so I'm figuring on bringing her up myself. I've got her in a box by my computer where she'll at least have me to be her companion, got a light, food, water.
One question I have is: It appears from the smell that one of the other (bad) eggs exploded and got onto the baby (may even be why she was wet?) The smell is pretty rank. Does anyone have any ideas for removing the smell? Could I wipe her down with a damp washcloth (maybe with a bit of lavender oil or something?)

I would wash her! Ducks like water. They use Dawn on birds that are found in oil slicks. I might also use some peroxide and baking soda (10:1) to deodorize the duckling, being careful not to get it in the nose, mouth, or eyes. I would also bring another duck in to be it's buddy so when it has to go back outside it will not be alone. Good luck!

My Khaki Campbell got broody and managed to hatch out one duckling yesterday morning. This morning she was up and about and the baby was following her happily. Just a few minutes ago I went out and the baby wasn't with mama anymore. I looked around and found it- wet and lying limply in the shade. I've gathered it up and tried to coax mom to take care of her baby but it seems like the switch turned off. I took the baby inside and set it up under a lamp with some water and food and it's perking right up. DH doesn't think we should risk trying to get mom to accept the baby now, so I'm figuring on bringing her up myself. I've got her in a box by my computer where she'll at least have me to be her companion, got a light, food, water.
One question I have is: It appears from the smell that one of the other (bad) eggs exploded and got onto the baby (may even be why she was wet?) The smell is pretty rank. Does anyone have any ideas for removing the smell? Could I wipe her down with a damp washcloth (maybe with a bit of lavender oil or something?)
I'm not sure on the lavender oil although I do use it in my coops to spray[mixed with oxine ah] the shavings, but I've never used it around tiny ones before, maybe try some warm water and ACV added wash her down real good pat dry and put right back under lamp. Sounds like mama is finished so your right to not try and put the duckling back with it's mom.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I don't have any other babies that I can put with her, so I think I'm going to just be her BFF. She's (I'm hoping it's a girl, lol) already peeping louder when I leave her, and settling down a bit when I sit down next to her.

I noticed a bare spot on the back of her neck. Is it possible she was attacked by something? Maybe even one of the other adult ducks?

ETA: I just washed her down with warm water and ACV and patted her dry with a towel. She's standing upright under the light now, flapping her little wings and preening. I think she's gonna be ok!

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I don't have any other babies that I can put with her, so I think I'm going to just be her BFF. She's (I'm hoping it's a girl, lol) already peeping louder when I leave her, and settling down a bit when I sit down next to her.

I noticed a bare spot on the back of her neck. Is it possible she was attacked by something? Maybe even one of the other adult ducks?

ETA: I just washed her down with warm water and ACV and patted her dry with a towel. She's standing upright under the light now, flapping her little wings and preening. I think she's gonna be ok!
Very possible if mama wasn't feeling very protective. adult ducks and drakes can even kill ducklings. Thank goodness you found the little one.
Glad to hear she is doing so well, you know pics have to come next.
smile.png

Last edited:
I know you and her/he are going to be BFF's but ducks are social animals so it would be best to get one or two more ducklings. Ducks are extremely emotional—more emotional than cats and
dogs. If you raise one duck and that duck depends on you, you can’t leave him or her alone for even one day without the duck missing you and getting upset, depressed, or scared when you’re gone. Ducks need duck friends along with human friends.
smile.png

As for the bald spot on its neck its most likely from another duck.

Good Luck

I don't know where I can get another baby duck at this time of year. I was rather surprised when my khaki got broody so late in the year. We usually expect our first frost this month. I've looked in Craigslist, and the local penny ads.

I don't know where I can get another baby duck at this time of year. I was rather surprised when my khaki got broody so late in the year. We usually expect our first frost this month. I've looked in Craigslist, and the local penny ads.
If you can't find another duckling I wouldn't worry too much. i had to raise a duckling inside when it's mama decided she not only didn't want it but seemed like she might have killed it if I had left him with her, she bit him on the head some. My dh and I had such a special time with that duckling, he slept in our bedroom in a very large dog crate with heat lamp and spent all his waking hours with us I carried a towel around and when I sat he would climb up on my shoulder and I'd put the towel over him just like a mama would cover him with her wing or body. He was so sweet. I took him outside daily alot so he could be around the rest of the flock especially the other ducks, He did great, at around 12 weeks we started letting him sleep in his own stall in the duck house and then we went and got him 3 ducks of his very own to bond with and grow up with. He is now 3 yrs old still like to be petted and loved on.

I don't know where I can get another baby duck at this time of year. I was rather surprised when my khaki got broody so late in the year.  We usually expect our first frost this month.  I've looked in Craigslist, and the local penny ads.
I wouldn't stress to much about finding another duckling. Once the duck is old enough you can reintroduce it to the flock.

Also I'm pretty sure your not gonna just leave the duck in the house for a full 8 weeks for it to form an over attached bound to you. Make sure you give it some outside time to print to the flock for easier reintroDUCKtion. Perhaps around 2 weeks of age just to make sure its stable and healthy, But make sure your always present when you do this.

Its your job to be the ever watching mother now, smite thy foes! *cough* theoretically.

If you can't find another duckling I wouldn't worry too much. i had to raise a duckling inside when it's mama decided she not only didn't want it but seemed like she might have killed it if I had left him with her, she bit him on the head some. My dh and I had such a special time with that duckling, he slept in our bedroom in a very large dog crate with heat lamp and spent all his waking hours with us I carried a towel around and when I sat he would climb up on my shoulder and I'd put the towel over him just like a mama would cover him with her wing or body. He was so sweet. I took him outside daily alot so he could be around the rest of the flock especially the other ducks, He did great, at around 12 weeks we started letting him sleep in his own stall in the duck house and then we went and got him 3 ducks of his very own to bond with and grow up with. He is now 3 yrs old still like to be petted and loved on.

You beat me to it! lol curse my slow typing.

Sounds like a pretty good drake with a great mother to bring him up!

Back
Top Bottom