Need help with apparently a respiratory disease

Embuck

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Hello,
I have two birds now that are ailing. Here's the whole story. Yesterday late evening, I went into the house and Firecracker, one of the pullets, was wheezing when she breathed. They had in there all day, and the air was thick with dust. Assuming it was the dust, I let it air out, and left the chickens for the night, Firecracker still wheezing. This morning I let them out, and Firecracker and another pullet, Dynamite, were both wheezing. I think the slept next to each other last night. Firecracker would occasionally sneeze(or cough, I'm not sure what the difference is), and now Dynamite does it to. They both shake their heads. Looking closely at Dynamite, I observed a fluid, with a bit of foam, on her beak. I checked Firecracker, and she didn't have any fluid. I need help here, and I can't figure this out from our poultry books. In case it has any bearing, the weather here has been around freezing, rather wet at times, and very windy.

What is Duramycin 10 Powder? It sounds like an antibiotic. Maybe some sort of penicillin?

Last edited:
The antibiotic Baytril works very well on most bacterial respiratory infections that poultry get, but it is banned for use in poultry, so one should consider that before buying it.

-Kathy

So should I try the antibiotic? I think I have some Oxytetracycline. Should I isolate the birds, or do anything to the others? These two birds are currently in with 15 other birds, including a young chick and a laying pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom