Need Help With Badly Injured Rooster-Warning: Pictures Could be a bit Graphic

Red Frog

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Ok, here's the story. We had a rooster who happened to get pecked badly a few weeks ago, so we isolated him. He was doing better, then we found he was infested with maggots (probably fly strike) two weeks ago. We washed him out, soaked him in a bath, got him all cleaned up. The would was pretty bad, but it seemed like the maggots might have eaten all the dead flesh away. He seemed to be doing better, was back to crowing a week ago. We had him in the house, but thought since he was doing well enough that he could go back out into the garage (besides, I draw the line when a bird jumps out of his tote and poops on my carpet.) Yesterday morning I went to feed him, and found he was covered in maggots again. Went through the process again, wash him out, bath, etc. He's been given Duramycin-10 powder in his water to combat infection (have had great success with that in the past), and we've been spraying him down with Vetericyn for the wound. Problem is 1. he's a big rooster, so to keep him moving I need to put him outside, so how do I keep flies off of him? 2. What can I put on him to help him heal? The fly problem might be less of an issue as the week goes on, as temps here are supposed to be more like 60. He's eating and drinking fine. (I'll have to get a picture of the wound up.)

We're putting him in the house at night. However, I am just getting my sense of smell back after a cold, and realized my house reeks of injured/wet chicken. He has to spend some time outside. He's a big guy, being that he's a Cornish Cross, so he needs to have exercise. I should say that this guy, along with a few others, were purchased as meat birds, although that intent has changed. I'm not bringing him to a vet, but I have too much invested in at the moment to just go ahead and end any suffering.

Also, I tried to pack his wound with Vaseline to help keep the flies off. Hopefully I didn't do more harm than good.

Vent is at the top-sorry if it's a bit graphic, but hoping to see if there is anything else I can do for Big Guy.

Thanks! I was taking a look at those. It seems that he probably was a victim of fly strike after his pecking incident.

Back
Top Bottom