Need help with bedding please!

S.L.Swope

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
San Antonio
Here's my set up: Open Air (mostly) raised coop. I have 2 sides completly open(wired of course) 1 side half open and 3rd just small amout at top open for more ventilation. I live in texas and it get really hot here in summer and not to cold in winter so I went with lots of air movement. I have a plywood floor covered in peel and stick flooring and need to decided what to use as bedding in coop.

Sand (what kind, play sand?)

Shavings? What about whenit rains, don't they stink when wet?

I get chicks on wend. so I need to decide fast
pop.gif

Thanks everybody!
thumbsup.gif

I use shavings, but i think you will have a problem with anything if you have the much open. with sand unless the floor is slanted the water will just stay at the bottom of the coop in the sand. I would suggest shavings and tarp up the sides when it rains or put up boards on hinges to lift up when its not raining and fold them down when it is.

Last edited:
Im in Tx too, and also went with an open air coop. I use shavings in the summer, and I am trying straw this winter. The shavings aren't too bad wen wet, but I also have a dirt floor...the back half of my coop has a roof. I am thinking of trying sand this coming spring/summer. I am just not really happy with the shavings. So far, the straw has stayed dry, so I do not know how it is when wet.

How about ground corn cobs for bedding? I used them when I raised pigeons as a youth, and now that I am into chickens, I've found that they are great as bedding for my hens, too. The don't swirl around like shavings when the wind picks up, they are relatively absorbent, and if you bed it thick enough you can just rake off the top layer once a week or so, and Voila! Clean bedding underneath. Works for me, just sayin'.

Mine is open to the south and I have large windows on the east and west. My bedding doesn't get wet as there isn't a waterer in there and I have a "porch" type roof on the south side. I like shavings the best.

Quote:
To me, ground corn cobs are great as long as they stay dry...they would be smelly after a rain...and they hold moisture too well for my liking

Hmm very open.....They love sand to "dust bath" in. And you can use a little kitty litter scoop to get out the poo and stuff. Maybe go with sand.

Anything else would just get wet and that's yucky.

Do you have a nest box in there? You could put some straw in the nest box. An enclosed (covered) nest box would be nice and private for them.

Back
Top Bottom