Need help with bossy and pecky barred rock

I would stop hand feeding treats, at least for the time being, so she has no reason to be pestering for treats and pecking at you. If she does peck you, peck her back using your thumb and forefinger to jab her in the back or back of neck, not hard enough to hurt but enough to get a reaction.

As far as picking on other birds, what does your run look like? Obstacles help a lot, see: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ . So does having multiple feeders and possibly multiple waterers, depending on what she's doing. For 7 birds I have 4 feeders/food bowls in the morning.

I have a 6×12 run for 5 birds with a 4×6 attached coop. They also get enclosed "free range" time within a 12×24 fenced in area with supervision since we have a lot of predators where we live. Right now, the 2 feeders and 1 waterer are working but I might increase it if necessary. Just using their chick feeder as an extra and they all seem to gravitate to it except the bully.

I think the pecking is starting to work because this morning, she ducked before I even had a chance to peck her. I hate to punish the entire flock with no treats because of one bossy hen. They get scratch and black soldierworm larvae in the morning and corn and BOSS in the evening to kerp warm at night plus any greens I may have during the day. But they're all small portions.

This^^^
Now and don't be shy about it.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Yes, I've held her down too but haven't pecked or pulled feathers at the same time. Will try it! Before that, I was just pushing her away but that didn't work.

Stop hand feeding all together. Chase her out of your space and set up two feed stations.. I know it sounds harsh although it works and being owned by birds becomes old real fast..:frow

I don't hand feed but scatter treats on the ground. The hand feeding was just for the bullied hen for a couple of days but it didn't work since all of them enjoy being hand fed apparently including the bully.

I don't hand feed but scatter treats on the ground. The hand feeding was just for the bullied hen for a couple of days but it didn't work since all of them enjoy being hand fed apparently including the bully.
Try for a couple of days by carrying a broom to control the Birds movement and keep them a distance away. Definitely don't hit them but they learn quickly that your boss and they aren't..

I looked into that and was just wondering if only the bully hen needs to wear them or all the flock members. I would worry about the others pecking at the bully's pinless peepers and possibly her face if she's the only one wearing them.
Only the bully needs to wear them. The others won't be pecking at the pinless peepers, IMO.

I think the pecking is starting to work because this morning, she ducked before I even had a chance to peck her. I hate to punish the entire flock with no treats because of one bossy hen. They get scratch and black soldierworm larvae in the morning and corn and BOSS in the evening to kerp warm at night plus any greens I may have during the day. But they're all small portions.
I think pecking back does work and have used it before successfully.

Please remember that by taking time to retrain the bully... you are benefiting the rest of the flock for the rest of their lives. You are NOT punishing them by not giving treats. That's like saying not giving my kids candy bars EVERY day would be punishment... NO, it simply good nutritional management from a caring guardian who has the bigger picture. ;)

Now I see you say SMALL amounts.. so the following is for informational purposes only...

Corn... does NOT keep birds warm... that is a very common myth. Energy (aka calories) do provide the fuel needed for the the birds to keep themselves warm.. Our formulated rations are already mostly corn... adding more corn isn't benefiting our birds (except POSSIBLY by stimulation type enrichment). Energy comes from 3 sources... fat, protein, and carbs including fiber. Protein and carbs have the same caloric content yet vastly different nutrient profiles and benefits. Now carbs are important and I don't mean they are evil in any way... unless in excess, but that is true of most things. Good quality feathers are also key to birds keeping warm. ;)

BSFL, BOSS, meal worms, and eggs... are good sources of protein but VERY high in fat.

Now fat is a denser form of calories... so birds in extremely cold environments with very short days... may benefit from the added calories if they cannot take in enough during daylight hours to maintain body condition.

I don't give my birds anything until later in the day after everyone has had access to the formulated ration first and all ladies have finished with the lay boxes. This way I ensure they are getting the nutrients needed before possibly filling up on lower quality snacks.

I don't regard greens as a treat... since my birds are pasture raised. (Which means I also happen to have no control over how many fatty worms or bugs they may eat naturally.) But I do still try giving them later in the day. I realize you must work with YOUR schedule, so just sharing what SEEMS to work for me so far. As I learn new things or face new challenges, I switch it up as needed. :cool: Before I moved to lush pasture, when I lived in the desert... I also raised red wigglers in a compost bin. Back then my birds gobbled them like snack crack. Since having different pasture access they often turned their noses up and completely ignored the worms. I quit raising them since they clearly have loads at our new location as evidenced by moving any object on the yard and looking underneath.

I have never used peepers but I think just the bullies wear them. I have seen reports of behavioral improvement and a challenge getting them on but not of the bully getting harassed for wearing them.

Back
Top Bottom