1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with breaking my cat of a bad habit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by featherfinder, Jul 1, 2012.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have an 8 month old female cat and everytime she goes to the litter box she plays with the litter and throws alot of it out over the floor and I have to clean it up 3-4 times a day or it gets spread everywhere. I have tried telling her no and keeping an eye on her but she still does it all threw out the day. Anyone know how I can break her of doing this so I can keep my home clean?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You might try different styles of litterbox. There are some out there that would make it very difficult for her to throw litter out.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    get a covered litter box or one with higher sides

4. featherfinder

Tried higher sides and she still manages to do it. The covered ones she is afraid of and then does her business on the floor so I had to switch back. Guess im kinda out of luck

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    try taking one of the covered boxes but cut a "sun roof" in the top. I've heard that some cats who don't like the enclosed boxes are fine if you cut open the roof

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Whatever you do, dont scold her in the litterbox, you may cause her to think she is not supposed to use it.

She will very likely outgrow this habit. In the meantime, put a large mat on the floor to make it easier to clean up.

7. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Put the litter box inside another box that is bigger. That way, when she digs the litter out of her litter box, it will just land in the second box.

8. featherfinder

I dont scold her in it. She pushes the litter out then get out and plays and pushes it all around.

I will try both ideas. The sun roof and the double box and see if those work. Thank you for the ideas!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If you tell her "no"... then you are scolding her in it...
    Baaaad idea...

10. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I also use the litter box inside a larger carboard box (not tall but wider than the cat pan) we have a digger and she scatters litter out the 2nd box made a huge difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by