Need help with breed and gender help!!!

pamrummel

Hatching
11 Years
May 30, 2008
I seem to have "inherited" this rooster from my neighbor who brought him home from a feed and seed store. He will not go home as he has no other chickens so he lives beside my hen house and watches over my "girls". At least I hope they are all girls. Can anyone tell me what type of rooster he is? Also, in the second pic is a white rock who does not crow or lay (yet). Is it a hen or a cockerel? Any help on these will be greatly appreciated. This is my first posting here, but I have been lurking around for awhile. I very much enjoy the msg. here! Thanks in advance!
smile.png

11177_img_8907.jpg

11177_img_8911.jpg

I'm not sure what your volunteer rooster is. Maybe some kind of mutt leghorn.

Is that the only white rock you have? At that age, if you have others that are more hen-like (smaller, less pronounced combs and wattles, etc.) then it is probably a rooster.

yes, it is my only white rock. And I am not real sure about the age, but think it is about 6 months old or so. I thought by not it would be laying or crowing one, but no sign of either. I am really confused on this gender issue.

As "your new roo" settles in, you'll find out which the other is by their interaction;) And also, if it is a young roo, it'll begin testing its voice after "listening" to the new roo for a bit:lol: The young ones sometimes sound a bit like they're strangling until they "find" their voices...
roll.png

Roos protect their flocks as much as possible, I'm greatful I've got a seasoned one that I inherited because its keeping the raven attacks down, only lost two but would have lost more if there wasn't that little miniature roo out in the yard!

Last edited:
mystery bird look like a jap for surrre shortlegged and good stature too. the white rock looks like a rooster due to the cycal feathers in the tail and the pronounced comb. hope this helps.

the rooster looks like a japanese or old english mix. he is cute! the white looks like a rooster, but with the new guy around, you'll find out soon enough. Being around roosters makes other roosters and cockerels try to "strut their stuff"

Back
Top Bottom