Need help with breed, is she really a Sapphire Olive Egger

This is what she looked like as a chick.

Attachments

• B41B5515-31BF-4844-93C5-457D5C7ADEAE.jpeg
    B41B5515-31BF-4844-93C5-457D5C7ADEAE.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 5
I guess it really depends on what mix they used to make the Olive Egger. They need to use a dark brown layer and a blue layer. But if they use a blue layer that is not 100% positively homozygous for blue egg genes, then about 50% of the offspring will fail to get a blue egg gene. Then you are left with a non-olive egger. For the egg to be cream or light brown, that tells me they didn’t even make sure to use a homozygous DARK brown layer either!

This would be pretty common if someone is making “Olive Eggers” by breeding one Olive Egger to another. It would take a lot of careful selection to breed out the unwanted recessive egg color genes.

I guess it really depends on what mix they used to make the Olive Egger. They need to use a dark brown layer and a blue layer. But if they use a blue layer that is not 100% positively homozygous for blue egg genes, then about 50% of the offspring will fail to get a blue egg gene. Then you are left with a non-olive egger. For the egg to be cream or light brown, that tells me they didn’t even make sure to use a homozygous DARK brown layer either!

This would be pretty common if someone is making “Olive Eggers” by breeding one Olive Egger to another. It would take a lot of careful selection to breed out the unwanted recessive egg color genes.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom