Need help with brooder

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Since spring is right around the corner, we want to get a couple chicks. I’m thinking about doing a coop brooder so they’re in the coop from day one. We have an empty spot in the new coop that wouldn’t be used for anything and i’m thinking about building a removable brooder there. I also have space under the poop board too. Any ideas on this?
F46637CF-DF7C-44FB-A963-7BA20FCA0FE3.jpeg
759DA342-2D56-45A8-A4B4-F8FA0720D0E6.jpeg

Think of how may chicks your actually getting, then picture them at 6 weeks old. Use that to guide you to figure out how big the space needs to be.
We have 3 hens now so probably just three more chicks, my boyfriend wants a total of 6 lol. I’m thinking maybe either under the poop board or just use the whole other empty wall. It’s been like 6 months since the last time i integrated chicks and i didn’t like the set up last time so i’m trying to figure out what would work best

I'd put it under the poop board - with 3 chicks the space there should be plenty. That way you don't ever have to worry about hens sitting on top and pooping on them or harassing them from above.
Very true! I was thinking about putting plywood on top of the brooder if i used the corner but even so the other chickens would probably try to get ontop

Very true! I was thinking about putting plywood on top of the brooder if i used the corner but even so the other chickens would probably try to get ontop
If you go that route, you could go even cheaper. Like I zip tie cardboard on top of my "chick cage" while I'm teaching them to sleep in the coop. Though I only use this for a couple of days I don't see why this "roof" wouldn't hold up for a few weeks at least.

early8.jpg

If you go that route, you could go even cheaper. Like I zip tie cardboard on top of my "chick cage" while I'm teaching them to sleep in the coop. Though I only use this for a couple of days I don't see why this "roof" wouldn't hold up for a few weeks at least.

View attachment 3001001
Very true, i’m trying to be cheap because of this new coop lol. We have left over chicken wire that we can probably use too. Might just do the easy way and use the space under the poop board ☺️

Back
Top Bottom