Need help with broody duck

SwissMiss24

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Hey guys! Okay so this is me Animalpro24 if any of you remember me but I forgot my password and it's complicated so I couldn't resign in so this is my new account.
tongue.png

Alright so one of my buff girls is going broody. She is REALLY protective. She usually runs from me but now she attacks my feet when I walk away from her nest area.
Right now we just set her eggs in a bin so they are more safe from rats and such. (we put the bin where her nest was)
I guess my question is should I put her in something different? and how many eggs until she starts hatching and how long does it take for them to hatch.
If they do hatch they will be Blue Swedish and Buff mix!
How is everyone? Haven't been on in a long time!

Hey guys! Okay so this is me Animalpro24 if any of you remember me but I forgot my password and it's complicated so I couldn't resign in so this is my new account.
tongue.png

Alright so one of my buff girls is going broody. She is REALLY protective. She usually runs from me but now she attacks my feet when I walk away from her nest area.
Right now we just set her eggs in a bin so they are more safe from rats and such. (we put the bin where her nest was)
I guess my question is should I put her in something different? and how many eggs until she starts hatching and how long does it take for them to hatch.
If they do hatch they will be Blue Swedish and Buff mix!
How is everyone? Haven't been on in a long time!
How did she take to having her eggs put into something she didn't choose? sometimes thats enough to break them from setting. She'll lay until she feels she has enough then she'll begin to sit. will depend on her, but if your not comfortable with the amount of eggs she is sitting on take the oldest ones out till you have the amount you like. That's where marking eggs comes into play that way you know old from new. Sounds like a nice mix of breeds be sure to post pics when they hatch. And good to see you here again it has been a while.

How did she take to having her eggs put into something she didn't choose? sometimes thats enough to break them from setting. She'll lay until she feels she has enough then she'll begin to sit. will depend on her, but if your not comfortable with the amount of eggs she is sitting on take the oldest ones out till you have the amount you like. That's where marking eggs comes into play that way you know old from new. Sounds like a nice mix of breeds be sure to post pics when they hatch. And good to see you here again it has been a while.
After we brought in all the other ducks and put them to bed and she didn't go back to the bin. Today she is in with the chickens. She made a new nest in their side of the coop so I think I'm gonna scratch the bin idea. How many do they usually lay before she'll sit on them?
I definitely will, I just hope we even get ducklings.
1. When they are fertile, will we see the veiny (don't know what it's called) stuff in the eggs right away? 2. Is there something better I could put them in? 3. Do you think she would keep laying to make up for the lost ones if we took some away?
Danke!

Should see veins on light colored eggs between day 4-7. Darker eggs may take longer & you may never see the veins, only the darkening area where the duckling is forming.

Alright I'm back. Sorry if I'm confusing you all.
Thanks guys!
Also, how often do they have to mate to have fertile eggs? And do they have to mate during the time she's laying on them?

Back
Top Bottom