need help with bunny colors please pic heavy

therealsilkiechick

ShowGirl Queen
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Northwestern, pa
need help telling what color our bunnies r some r new colors for us while some we have not seen as babies only as 8 weeks or older. i know what i think they r but some hubby says he thinks r other colors than i do lol. i do have the current standard book but ugg the colors are all starting to look so similar it is getting confuseing cuz i have 18 babies in the nursery right now. so would like to know what ya all think the colors are for some of them. i have 3 kinds/litters i need help with so will post pics a set at a time to help make it easier and less confuseing.

honey's mini rex babys
~baby one~ this is an agouti color
born- was black with pink belly after few days turned brown w/ white belly
few days old-
0928101826b.jpg

now 35 days old-
1025101834.jpg

~baby two~
born- was pure white
few days old(looked to be possible tort or tricolor)-
0928101824.jpg

now 35 days old(i don't see the blue but possible lilac maybe on tip of nose)-
1025101836.jpg

will edit with more pics thanks for any help!!

lyssa's mini rex babies
~baby one~ agouti colored
born was a choc color w/ white belly
few days old-
1005101506a.jpg

now(20 days old)-
1025101903c.jpg

~baby two~ agouti colored
born was black w/ pink belly
few days old-
1005101507.jpg

now(20 days old)-
1025101859.jpg

~baby three~
few days old-
1005101506.jpg

now-
1025101903a.jpg

~baby 4~ this is a self brown color of some sort not brk black
few days old-
1005101512.jpg

now-
1025101856.jpg

ginger's babys i'll add pics of tomarrow cuz hers r so similar i have to match up the babies pics right.

Last edited:
Sorry I don`t know a thing about bunny colouring (just learned from you that I think mine is "agouti").....but they are majorly CUTE
bun.gif

This makes me remember my rabbit raising days. I had forgotten how ugly rabbits are when they're born though. Good thing they get cute so fast!
smile.png

I had Rex rabbits, but it's been so long ago now I don't remember the colors. Sorry I can't help, but thanks for bringing back some old memories.
smile.png

1. Agouti
2. Hard to tell, but either a broken tort or broken fawn/orange

1. Lighter agouti (maybe chocolate? not real familiar with the color)
4. Agouti
5. I would say broken agouti
6. From the pics looks broken black

Congrats on the babies!

Mrs. Feathers do u have a pic of ur baby? if so post it we'll see if we can help u also. to help tell an agouti this is what i look for- A rabbit with a coat color that shows ring color (bands of different color on each hair shaft) across the back and lower sides and rump. It has a much lighter marking pattern that involves the belly, underside of the tail, insides of the legs, tops of the feet, chest, inside of the ear on the back edge (flange), circles around the eyes, makings by the nostrils, jaw line, and triangle at the nape of the
neck.

piney u r very welcome. lol, yes as babies they r uggie babies, i'm glad it doesn't last long too.
smile.png

IcarusSomnio can u tell what color the agoutis r? 6 is definately dark brown it looks like my one adult broken choc mini rex doe. cell pics doesn't always help to tell either but was hopeing with descriptions that would help to tell more. one of the babies i didn't post yet from my other litter is same color as this one but it is a holland x mini lop kit.

Castor, mini rex name for standard agouti, go through some color changes and look like all sorts of things before they are done. I would call 1 from the first litter and 1 and 2 from the second castor unless after growing their adult coat they look different. Chocolate agouti is possible for the one kit that didn't look as dark but not a recognized color in mini rex so I'm not sure what the belly or ring color would be. If #3 lacks ear lacing it's probably not a broken castor or is a very poor quality one. Could it be a broken red? If you have tort in there plus the agouti gene reds should be a possibility. Last is probably broken chocolate.

Would help to know what color the parents are and any other generations behind them that you know of.

first litter mom is a black tort and dad is a broken castor, they r not pedigreed unknown background colors.

second litter mom is broken black i have 1/2 pedigree for her and dad is a castor i have pedigree for him. moms side i know lilac and rew. dads is lilac, lynx, broken castor, rew, brk black, castor, black, red

i have a castor now and have had other castors before but never under 8 weeks old so wasn't sure what their baby color looked like. when people here say agouti it is usually a chestnut not a castor that's why it confused me. didn't know castor was primarily called agouti thanks for letting me know. they do change alot yes. at first we thought 1 and 2 were castors but wasn't sure if they were that or not cuz as they grow they look kinda tort patterened and have like black tips. second baby one i was thinking choc agouti but hubby thought lynx but it doesn't look right to me to be lynx. it looks just like the other 2 but the tips r brown not black. on 3 i was thinking broken red also i can't remember if it has ear laceing will look tomarrow but i know on it's spots they r like red and toward edges of the spots it is a tan or light brown, in light it kinda had a tort pattern to it's spots. i do have a jr red buck a few mths old i'll check it's coloring with his see how close they look to each other. last one i'll try to get a better lighted pic of just to be sure.
thank you so much for helping i'm enjoying learning about my babies. they r all so sweet and loveable i want to learn as much as i can about them.
smile.png

Chestnut is castor in mini rex. It's the exact same genetics. A_B_D_C_ E_W_ . I will try to hunt down the pic of the different hair rings on the agoutis but i have to get an ultrasound right now.

In the US, "Agouti" isn't a color, it's a pattern. The wild-type color is called Chestnut in most rabbit breeds, Castor is only seen in the Rex breeds. Castor is supposed to be a deeper, richer, redder shade than your basic Chestnut. This is achieved with the aid of certain helper genes that boost the amount of yellow/red pigment in the hairshaft. Some judges call the lighter colored animals "poor colored Castors" and mark them down, some call them Chestnuts and DQ them for being a non-showable color. If these kids have "good" Castors in their background, they may color up to be the real deal themselves. Time will tell.

1. Chestnut, possibly Castor
2. Broken Tort, possibly Blue Tort (I don't see the ear lacing of an Orange/Fawn, but the ear looks decidedly darker than the area around the eye )

1. Chocolate Agouti, sometimes called Cinnamon
2. Chestnut, possibly Castor
3. Broken Chocolate Agouti(?)
4. Broken Chocolate

Back
Top Bottom