Need help with Chicken law and ordinance for my city please.....

Elpollo

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Hi ! I live in El Cajon,CA an inland suburban city in east San Diego County. I wanted to get only 2 hens for my child as pets and build a nice coop in my backyard. Doe's anyone know If I can or can't do this? or should I call my city office to find out? I had read on here that you can have up to 24 chickens in El Cajon on a 20,000 square foot lot, but I wonder what the ordinance would be for only 2 hens? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

maybe you have to have at LEAST 20K sq feet to have chickens. call your city offices and then make an appt to go in and speak to them directly. get everything IN WRITING.

hope you can have your chickens.
smile.png

If you Google El Cajon, you will find your Municipal Code on their website. It doesn't mention anything about the property size. It just says no poultry or fowl within the city limits. Sorry. But laws are can be changed. You might start with your local 4-H - see if they might be willing to help you get a petition started. There are also a lot of organized and sanctioned APA/ABA Poultry organizations in California. You might also try contacting one near you and seek their advice/help. Best of Luck.

Actually, it does limit based on property size - only properties zoned R-E-20 (20K sq ft) or R-E-40 (40K sq ft) can have up to 24 birds. Owning poultry is forbidden on smaller properties.

I'm looking to connect with other people in El Cajon to see if we can lobby the city council and change this! Anyone? I'm new to all this (don't have any birds yet), so if this effort is already underway, I'd be happy to help!

Cheers,
Karen

I just found out that El Cajon city council is already in the process of considering revisions to the municipal code, so this is the perfect time to ask them to include backyard chickens as one of the revisions.

The next city council meeting will be this coming Tuesday (June 8, 2010) at 7 pm, and the general code revisions are already on the agenda. I am planning to go and fill out a speaker slip so that I can request the change. Hopefully some other like-minded people will show up!

If you are planning to come, please send me an email!

Back
Top Bottom