Need help with Corid dosage

Thanks again, C.A.S. I can certainly overthinking things. I hear I'm not the only one of us whose DH's think we're in chikin idolatry.

I found the little one with a bit of blood in the stools: (my runt Scuffiluppiggus...AKA Scruffy)....caught her in the act. Not sure if it's shed intestinal mucosa or stringy clots. Liiks more like the shed intestine, but just not sure. So I put her in the portable dog kennel with some Corid mush and she took some as I was not able to get her to take water from me.

Well, I had run out of eggs so just took their grower feed and made a mush with the Corid water and they snarfed 'er down. Tomorrow will be day 7 and that'll be it for now. will be concentrating on the nutrition now. So far I'm thinking the scrambled eggs and also the chicken livers...if I can find them in Bemidji.

Another question, though, related to water. We have reverse osmosis drinking water so (until the Corid Rx) I was adding a little electrolytes and vitamins to the water. Our well water has relatively high nitrate levels as cows used to pasture on the knoll where our house is built. My DH wants me to use the well water for the flock. Don't quite know what to do. I guess I should do a search, but I imagine that if high nitrate levels are harmful to children that small animals or birds could also be harmed by it. Any thoughts?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/191920/well-water
see post #7

I don't know about nitrates personally, but here is another link:http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/evans/ps&t-42.html

Good Job, CAS. This should convince him to let me stick with the treated water for them. After this Corid I will add their electrolytes and vitamins back in.

NEW ISSUE! Since my last post I did a poo patrol again. SOMEBODY has got WORMS. Ahhrrrghh. If it's not one think it's your mother..or something else.

The reason I know it's worms it that is was a yellowish-olivey foamy mess (bubbles and all) with one poo. This is the first time I've seen this. I don't think it was Mister Boaz Roo. Too skinny a poo for him. So here is what I found in a thread:

Use one ounce of WAZINE 17 per gallon. Let chickens drink it for 24 hours(no other water) then rinse it out and put fresh non-medicated water in the waterer 10 days. On Day 10 repeat the Rx fro 24 hours. Then rinse out and put fresh non-medicated water in. And that's it.

Their poor little chicken bods are getting tired, I'm sure. Now de-worming and good nutrition.

Do you agree that I should do this for them now?

PS.....thanks to Dawg53 for that great website with the poo pics in it. It has come in handy twice over the last two days: Once regarding intestinal mucosal slough and now.....(and I would not have known otherwise)......worms.
I think I'm on the fast track to getting educated and getting stocked up with chicken meds.

Any opinions on the use of ACV in the water?

Good Job, CAS. This should convince him to let me stick with the treated water for them. After this Corid I will add their electrolytes and vitamins back in.

NEW ISSUE! Since my last post I did a poo patrol again. SOMEBODY has got WORMS. Ahhrrrghh. If it's not one think it's your mother..or something else.

The reason I know it's worms it that is was a yellowish-olivey foamy mess (bubbles and all) with one poo. This is the first time I've seen this. I don't think it was Mister Boaz Roo. Too skinny a poo for him. So here is what I found in a thread:

Use one ounce of WAZINE 17 per gallon. Let chickens drink it for 24 hours(no other water) then rinse it out and put fresh non-medicated water in the waterer 10 days. On Day 10 repeat the Rx fro 24 hours. Then rinse out and put fresh non-medicated water in. And that's it.

Their poor little chicken bods are getting tired, I'm sure. Now de-worming and good nutrition.

Do you agree that I should do this for them now?

Please see this, as it says "yellow and foamy" can be coccidiosis (p.5 U of Kentucky)
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/afspoultry-files/pubs/Anatomy_Digestive.pdf

Wormers are very hard on chickens and if they are near death can kill them. Additionally, it is recommended that you not worm before 18 weeks unless you know that you have an infestation.

Some vets will do a fecal float on a poo sample for a small fee. If you didn't actually see worms I'd wait a bit and see.

There are directions on the Wazine bottle for immature chickens but they are still developing their organs which is why it is better to hold off unless you know there definitely are worms at that age.

You wouldn't want to give a wormer at the same time as a lot of other medication when they are near death from something else.

http://www.justanswer.com/pet-bird/1e1tv-chicken-bright-yellow-foamy-droppings-please.html
if you scroll down they have a question about yellow foamy droppings and the answer is worms

I have seen these droppings in worms before. BUT your chickens are pale and near death from coccidiosis and I would not worm right now.

Please don't give up watching for worms but I personally would take a fecal sample to a vet since they are so young.

Oh I forgot you have a 5 month old boy.

Uh oh, could be him with worms. Well, I stand by my recommendation to wait unless you can separate him and discover if those poos belong to him...if you don't think he has coccidiosis you can try worming him but I still think you have to get a poo sample for your younger ones as they are near death.

Just my opinion and I hope others will chime in!!! (Hint hint, others!)

(If you have one that definitely has worms you will have to treat the whole flock but I'd wait on the sick ones.)

Last edited:
I'm holding off on any tretament. The poos have been fine. Pink coming back into the combs already. They're not crazy for cooked eggs...a few bites and they're done. Just trying now to keep the coop and run as clean as I can. They are all lively again.

Thank-you all for the excellent advice and for putting the fire-cracker under me to get them treated asap with Corid.

All this is helping me to keep a close eye on them...know what's normal and what isn't....to trust my instincts to at least ask others about deviances...and to keep certain meds on hand. They are a responsiblity that I love. These Buff O's sure do 'give back' even without eggs yet. They're like kittens.

I'm holding off on any tretament. The poos have been fine. Pink coming back into the combs already. They're not crazy for cooked eggs...a few bites and they're done. Just trying now to keep the coop and run as clean as I can. They are all lively again.

Thank-you all for the excellent advice and for putting the fire-cracker under me to get them treated asap with Corid.

I am so happy they are on the mend! Yay!

Yes they are just like little babies, eh?

Back
Top Bottom