Need help with Coryza!

kargo

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
I posted a few days ago, and some people think that he has coryza. We are going to the store to get Vet RX tommorow. We want to give him some plain yogurt and scrambled eggs. What else will be good for him to give him the strength to make it until tommorrow? He does not look too good.

Last edited:
buying some oxine and using that to mist the air will be of more value and help than vet RX (the use of which I do NOT support by the way > particularly in the water! > see earlier postings from me on this subject) here is an article on oxine:
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

To concentrate the nutritional value of the feed (necessary as an ill bird will eat less) then my suggestion is to get some baby parrot/bird formula from the bird section at the pet store (it is a powder you mix with water > this is fed to baby parrots) and mix that in with his age appropriate NON-LAYER type fo feed.
mixing in a bit of wheatgermOIL through the feed mixture will also be beneficial.

Last edited:
If it is coryza, he needs an antibiotic. If he is a pet, see if you can find a vet who will prescribe Baytril. According to Merck's it will prevent a carrier state, as compared with other medicines that effectively treat it in that bird, but leave the bird as a carrier.

You can buy Baytril liquid from allbirdproducts.com for $25 for 25 mil w/o an RX for pet birds. My vet says to put it in the syringe that comes with it and put it in the mouth instead of adding it to the water.

Okay, so we have four that are sick right now. Theya re getting Terramycin by water. They're getting NyQuil, VetRX, and Poly Vi Sol (no iron) by dropper into their beaks. What else can we do? WIll this work? Is the Baytril worth it?

Baytril is generaly considered the best antibiotic available for birds and other pets. It does depend on the particular bacteria, but for respiratory infections it is THE best. Most other antibiotics are considered a bacteriastat. Baytril is a bacteriacide. It kills the bacteria and leaves no remnants behind to create a carrier state.

Coryza is a serious, highly contagious disease that leaves the birds carriers of it for life, which means that even if they seem to recover, they can infect others from here on out. And Terramycin is not considered an antibiotic of much use,especially for something of this nature. Vet Rx is NOT a drug that cures anything at all.

So basically everything our friend at the CO-OP has told us is wrong? She told us to give them all of this stuff. (Except for the NyQuil. It works, so we gave it to them.) What am I suppossed to do? I think only 10/2? of my flock members are definitely healthy. Am I supossed to cull them all, or will the Baytril definitely keep them from being carriers? They've had this for probably about 2 months. Everyone kept telling us it was a cold, so we didn't realise it was really serious....

Back
Top Bottom