Need help with crop/ from sweden

8F6AEC65-7DD3-4FC0-9E11-D58FBC5954E7.jpeg

can I give her this?

I did a search on the nature of paraffin. It appears that is what mineral oil is called in Europe. Mineral oil is perfectly safe for chickens. Olive oil is safe for chickens, too, and won't cause fatty liver in the few days she needs it to unblock her. You do need to avoid vegetable oils and canola oil since they are absorbed at a much higher rate and really aren't effective to alleviate a blockage.

Converting measurements into the metric system from US inches can get tedious. But I judge the grit my chickens get by eyeballing an eighth of an inch which, unless I'm wrong, is around 3 or 4 mm. No larger.

Even tiny baby chicks will pick up grit, and each chicken seems to instinctively know what size grit to pick up for their own bodies. Grit is as necessary to poultry digestion as our teeth are to our digestion. Without it, chickens will become constipated and subject to blockage as food gets stuck in the gizzard and can't move through.

If your chicken had such serious damage from coccidiosis that grit harms her, then she probably already would be dead. Grit is such an important part of chicken digestion, they really cannot live without it unless, like a human with no teeth, you put them on a strictly liquid or wet mash diet.

paraffin is recommended in old poultry handbooks, so I think it is more likely the trad remedy, before coconut oil was available here. (I don't know if either works or is better than the other.)

Not in the UK. Paraffin is heating oil - but there is a form sold for consumption by humans, again traditional remedies.
So it is a petroleum product, not some odd colloquialism for cooking oils.
Not surprised it's in old poultry books(like using old engine oil to coat the roosts against mites) but I sure wouldn't feed it to my birds.

If she has access to that she should be good for digestive grit.

Not surprised it's in old poultry books(like using old engine oil to coat the roosts against mites) but I sure wouldn't feed it to my birds.
I was so worried now ..
I only gave her paraffin oil because a girl said it worked for her hen.
I will not give her anything more now, but give her coconut oil instead

I did a search on the nature of paraffin. It appears that is what mineral oil is called in Europe. Mineral oil is perfectly safe for chickens. Olive oil is safe for chickens, too, and won't cause fatty liver in the few days she needs it to unblock her. You do need to avoid vegetable oils and canola oil since they are absorbed at a much higher rate and really aren't effective to alleviate a blockage.

Converting measurements into the metric system from US inches can get tedious. But I judge the grit my chickens get by eyeballing an eighth of an inch which, unless I'm wrong, is around 3 or 4 mm. No larger.

Even tiny baby chicks will pick up grit, and each chicken seems to instinctively know what size grit to pick up for their own bodies. Grit is as necessary to poultry digestion as our teeth are to our digestion. Without it, chickens will become constipated and subject to blockage as food gets stuck in the gizzard and can't move through.

If your chicken had such serious damage from coccidiosis that grit harms her, then she probably already would be dead. Grit is such an important part of chicken digestion, they really cannot live without it unless, like a human with no teeth, you put them on a strictly liquid or wet mash diet.

I do not think she was so damaged in the intestine that the gravel would kill her because then she should have died already, but considering that she had eaten gravel before.
but they had a lot of coccidia in their poop but are now healthy. but I still think she gets injured anyway as she is chronically loose in the stomach (watery stools)

I brought gravel to her and she started eating a lot, I was completely shocked. like she really wanted to.
she ate a lot of shavings which she had not done before and it felt like she wanted gravel. so hope so sincerely that it empties her crop once and for all.

Back
Top Bottom