Need help with diagnosis

Jckenney

Hatching
Nov 25, 2022
My most spunky chicken, a 5 year old, recently stopped perching, then had trouble walking and upon examining - I found a growth - for lack of a better word. It’s between her body and right leg. It’s hard to the touch and ranges from dark brown to yellow. She’s now on antibiotics, pain killers and antiseptic soaks to loosen the crusty growth in the hopes the vet can tell what it may be - a tumor, an infection, both, neither, etc. See photo where’s she’s sleeping in my lap and her leg was just washed and dried.

As of today, she seems to be unwilling or unable to leave the coop on her own but will eat blueberries and other goodies when presented to her. Today, she just started sleeping on her belly - seemingly too tired to move which I thought could be the meds.

I’m not sure if trying to treat her is the right option but not having a certain diagnosis had me thinking that maybe treating for a few days would help her bounce back a bit but that doesn’t seem to be the case yet. Her leg is looking very slightly better after three days of treatment but her behavior seems worse.

Anyone have an idea what this is? If treatment is possible? Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 92A2AE0E-2AAE-4575-8390-6942751EE069.jpeg
    92A2AE0E-2AAE-4575-8390-6942751EE069.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 13
If there is a bad smell coming from this lesion, it's an infected wound. If there is no odor, it's probably a tumor, and you said it's hard, so that points even more strongly to this being a tumor. (I had a hen years ago with something very similar that was a tumor and defied all attempts to heal it, and it was very painful.)

Since you say she is declining in behavior, it may be too late to treat if it's a wound, and tumors that size are unlikely to be easily removed.

Hard for me to tell what I'm seeing in the picture, but chickens can sometimes get follicle cysts from an ingrown feather. Along with getting infected they can also get large enough to start pressing on things internally. Hopefully the vet can remove whatever it is and she can recover.

Thanks @azygous and @Razzlefrazzle. She’s motivated to eat and drink as of late today but needs assistance to do so as the hard growth or scab prevents right leg use. However, I think the hard growth may be a scab and after an early epsom salt bath this morning may be loosening. It’s hard to fully say but I’ll try another soak tomorrow and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom