need help with duckling situation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elly, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    If someone knows anything about ducks if they could please answer a few questions that would be so great..
    1. will the mother duck take total care of this baby?
    2. do I need speacial food for the baby. Right now all I have is normal adult duck pellet type food. Too big for the baby to eat.
    3. Will I need a heat source. If so what could I use...would a large dog crate with a light bulb in it work?
    4. Right now the female has a spot in the barn where it is very draft and the cold wind blows right across her.
    5. can I move the pair
    6. I think the baby was born last night so has had nothing to eat or drink. I tried to offer the baby some water, but it wasn't interested...just wanted to be with mom.
    I have to run out to the vet with a sick cat later on this morning so will stop at the local feed store for some duckling food.

Thanks for your help.
    ps I'm posting on the duck part of this form also,but thought it wouldn't hurt to get help from all the knowledgeable people I can

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    1. Mom will care for the baby.

2. Get some crumble instead of pellets and it should be fine. I only had two ducklings and was told to use layer crumble not chick starter for them.

3. Mom should be able to keep the duckling(s) warm. Keep an eye on things if it gets crazy cold.

4. Try to either fix the drafts or get her into a non drafty area--not sure if that is as important for ducks as chickens, but it wouldn't hurt.

5. I'd wait unless you're sure she doesn't have any more eggs that might hatch.

6. They can go a couple of days living off the yolk. Just have food and water available and mom will show baby what to do.

Enjoy!!

3. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I didn't send my post properly and not all of it got posted.....I got the ducks,six of them and a male in the summer...I'm not a duck person in that I never had them. I had been taking the eggs away from the females as I didn't want ducklings and more ducks. This morning I found a one baby. I have no idea on what I have to do to keep it healthy.

4. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks so much kittymomma !!! I was so worried. She only had that one broken egg shell by her nest and there no other eggs in it I guess it will be an only child !!! Can they go outside or should I keep them inside. I do have cats and worry about the baby getting caught by one of them.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Cat's can be a problem. I have them too [​IMG] and don't let the little ones free range until they're 1/2-3/4 grown and not as interesting to the cats.

I did my ducklings the same as the chicks except:

1. The waterer needs to be wide and deep enough that they can get their bill into it.

2. Layer crumble instead of chick starter.

3. They make a huge mess with water so I double stacked it--old 9x13 baking dish with river rocks in it and waterer on top.

I still had to clean out the brooder way more often then for the chicks, but that helped keep things a little drier.

Hopefully since you have a momma duck it won't be too much of a chore for you. I'd keep momma and baby penned up if you can. More because of the cats then the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by