Need help with Ducks sleeping arrangements..

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
so I got a coop, got 4 chickens and 3 ducks. I'm building an extended covered pen.

My original plan was for all of them to sleep in the locked coop at night but I'm questioning that plan now. From what I'm reading, ducks seem to stay out in the pen in things like dog houses and stuff. I was planning on getting a dog house and a pool for them anyway. I'm looking to get something with doors so I can shut them in at night, but I'm not sure this is safe with predators and extreme weather. In the winter the temps can get to 40 below. What do I do with them then? At what temperature should I start to worry about them? The dog house will be full of straw. Should a pool with heater be available all year round? Now that I'm thinking about this, where do all the mallards go all winter in order to survive?

I’ve never dealt with snow before (since I’m Aussie) so I’m not sure if you’ll need a heater. My ducks get locked up every night in their coop which is raised above the ground, you just have to teach them by locking them up every night then they’ll get in the routine. And they should probably have a pool around just to clean themselves.

Ducks do seem to like staying out all night :)
But they don't know what's good for them Lol. Lock them up at night unless you build something super predator proof.
Ducks can handle very cold weather and will swim in ice cold water. . but I don't deal with 40 below temps where I live. If it were that cold I would provide drinking water only during that time. I did use a tank heater in my duck pool over part of the winter with no issues. . however when it was staying below 0 for days on end I blocked it off and went to just drinking water. The problem is they splash out so much water making ice all around the pool and then slip and slide on the ice and hurt themselves. :hmm
I've also heard of ducks getting frozen to the ground like that.
Otherwise cold doesn't bother them much . . just make sure they have a dry draft free place to warm their feet,
With plenty ventilation up high so the moisture can't build up and cause frost bite issues.
@BantyChooks
Did I miss anything?

I didn't even think about the splashing of water and creating ice in the winter. Ugggghhhh

right now they are only babies and can't be near water without making a mess. So if I take away the pool, what can I use for water that they won't make a complete mess?

I need to come up with a plan to weigh down something they can't knock over and everyone can still have water.

I use heated buckets but I don't put food and water inside after they are 6 weeks of age. Just not a way to keep the place from being trashed. Heated buckets work great I put mine up on bricks to keep them from sitting directing in the snow or under a covered feeding shed. Mine don't get bath time in a pool once temps drop below freezing and stay there.

:welcome

image.jpg
So now I might have to cut the run in half to seperate them. What a pain in the butt.

Can I use this house for them? It says there is ventilation, crowned floor and the top comes off to clean. It also has doors, so I can close them in at night. I suppose I can get a pallet under it to raise it if need be. I'm thinking that this is for a 100 pound dog and the point is to keep the dog from the elements.

View attachment 1301102 So now I might have to cut the run in half to seperate them. What a pain in the butt.

Can I use this house for them? It says there is ventilation, crowned floor and the top comes off to clean. It also has doors, so I can close them in at night. I suppose I can get a pallet under it to raise it if need be. I'm thinking that this is for a 100 pound dog and the point is to keep the dog from the elements.
I think that would be fine for sleeping in at night . If you find it needs more ventilation you could always drill some holes under the eve.
I used a heated pet bowl for my big duck during the winter. .he doesn't try to get in it but if your ducks do splash it all out and make a mess you could put it inside a tote. . cut out a hole for the cord and one in the side big enough they can stick their head in to drink. Also some holes in the bottom to let splash water drain out.

Back
Top Bottom