1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help with Easter Egger chick and others!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Boatchick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Boatchick

Boatchick New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi there,

I'm new to raising chicken so I would really appreciated your help on this one..
    I have the feeling that our dear Easter Egger, Chewy is a roo.. Im I right?? It's about 7 weeks old now.

Many Thanks!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this 5 weeks old brown Chanteclair could be a Roo too??
    [​IMG]

It's the one in the middle..
    [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Chevy does not really look like an EE to me, but yes, you could be looking at a roo there. On the Chantecler, the light makes it difficult to see the color of the comb. However based on the feathering for 5-weeks, I'd lean more towards roo than hen. Is it possible to post some updated pics where we can see the comb color a little better?

3. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure "chewy" is a roo or a EE........................

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't see any signs yet, that Chewy is a roo - might be a pullet. Post new pics again in a couple weeks.

As for the Buff Chant. Usually males are slower to feathers, but my Barnevelder pullets were extremely slow to feather and had tall legs - they looked extremely rooish at 4-7 weeks, but ended up growing into lovely hens. You'll have to post pics again later on this one too.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

It just may be too early to tell for your chicks. Post pictures in a few weeks!!!

6. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

With that wide comb and huge feet, Chewy looks like a roo to me. I had a splash Ameraucana roo that looked just like him when he was little. Wide comb and big feet mean rooster. Look for three rows of bumps on his comb.

My boy turned into a beautiful rooster. I loved him. He sacrificed himself to save his flock from a predator and I'm so upset he's gone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by