need help with found ducklings

mlove

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
tx
My neighbor brought me 5 wood ducks that were almost an outside cat's lunch (she already killed 1). I got them to drink and they have taken a swim. I have a heat lamp on them and the cage set up. I need to get some food for them but I can't remember what type to get them and how much water to add. Is the food supposed to be mushy like baby food or thicker/thinner? Can I use chick starter or do I need a different type of food? I plan on contacting the Texas Parks and Wildlife rep Monday but I don't know when he will be able to meet me.

You should feed them waterfowl starter of Purina Flock Raiser, chick starter should be a last choice do to improper nutrition. They can eat their food dry, no need to moisten it. For now you can feed them scrambled eggs, clovers, and some worms. You should try to hand them over to a wildlife rescue as soon as possible, or, if you have to, raise them yourself with as little human contact as possible. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can find someone to take them asap. I believe they are a protected species here and I don't want to get into trouble. I just could not turn them away to get eaten by cats or starve. Four of the babies seem to be active and strong but one of them seems much slower than the rest.

Your welcome!
smile.png
I would have rescued them too, no doubt about it!
big_smile.png
I am sure they are very grateful you saved them from the big hungry kitty.
wink.png
As for the weak one, you might want to add some electrolites to their water, or one-third cup sugar to every gallon of water.

Last edited:
I spoke to a rep at the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center in San Antonio and it looks like I will be able to take them there tomorrow. It's only an hour away from where I live.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom