Need help with hen id

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Oct 2, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    This is our newest addition. She seems like a real sweetheart! I got her at an auction last night and I am not totally sure what color/breed she is. I think I have a smaller version of her that people said was an OEGB, but this new one has feathered feet and my younger one doesn't.

New hen...
    [​IMG]

Young pullet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    bottom one. has some OEGB in her blood for sure.. known as a Silver ginger, but she has something else in her blood (Green legs..) top hen. no idea

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I will have to double check her leg color. Seems to me they were a gray color, maybe the sun was hitting them wrong that day or something.

So the top one might just be a barnyard mix of some sort then? Or possibly part OEGB?

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:dont know about the top one. maybe shes a close relative to the bottom one. someone else may can come along and tell you what the top one is

-Daniel

PS. honestly though. i think the top one maybe a barnyard mix,

5. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I have one that looks almost exactly like her.... mine is out of a cukoo Marans rooster and a Easter Egger hen (who was that normal golden brown color with black flecks throughout.)

However, mine has a beard/muff, a pea comb and no feathers on her legs.

I don't know what breed mix yours is, but thought the information on what color parents produced a chicken colored like that for me might be helpful.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am too knew to chickens to even grasp the color combos yet lol. But thanks for trying to offer some insight.

She must have been a flyer, because they trimmed her flight feathers. Which made me think she was partly a game hen, they are flyers.

I would like to have a few more like her but in other colors, she's a sweetie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by