Need help with ID of this peachick

Jazzy_G

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2022
I have a pair of silver pied peafowl that I got a little over a year ago, and I know that there are 3 possibilities for chicks. The hen hatched her first babies in June. I have one solid white, one silver pied (I think) and this one pictured below. Is this what a dark silver pied looks like, which is the 3rd possibility? I’m thrown off by the peach feathers on the breast. Also, can anyone tell if this is a male or female? Thanks!

Attachments

• 6C4F1413-F75A-4457-85E2-6798457820A9.jpeg
    6C4F1413-F75A-4457-85E2-6798457820A9.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 42
Congratulations you have a girl. Silver Pied does not always follow the Pied rules and not all is understood, but the silvering on the back is a pretty good indication she is split SP. I don't think there is a 'Dark SP' as that would require two Pied genes and there would not be room for the White gene. There is another possibility, White Eye. Since SP is made of one Pied, one White, and two WE genes at least one WE gene will also be passed making split WE. If from two SP parents both would pass a WE gene making full WE.

Here is a proven IBBS split SP cock, he also has around a dozen white eyes some years, sometimes less.

IMG_5968.JPG

Congratulations you have a girl. Silver Pied does not always follow the Pied rules and not all is understood, but the silvering on the back is a pretty good indication she is split SP. I don't think there is a 'Dark SP' as that would require two Pied genes and there would not be room for the White gene. There is another possibility, White Eye. Since SP is made of one Pied, one White, and two WE genes at least one WE gene will also be passed making split WE. If from two SP parents both would pass a WE gene making full WE.

Here is a proven IBBS split SP cock, he also has around a dozen white eyes some years, sometimes less.

View attachment 3281237
Beautiful! Thanks for the info. I stated that wrong in my first post. I think I should have said a dark pied instead of dark “silver” pied. Here is a picture of the other chick. I also think this is a hen. Would she be considered a black shoulder? Also, could you please share how you are able to tell the male from the female just by looking at them? I’d like to be able to ID them in the future. I’m pretty sure my white chick is a male just by his size and his tendency to be more aggressive towards the other chicks.

Attachments

• 35751A88-2B4D-48B8-B701-3D9C103AFF4B.jpeg
    35751A88-2B4D-48B8-B701-3D9C103AFF4B.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 17
Beautiful! Thanks for the info. I stated that wrong in my first post. I think I should have said a dark pied instead of dark “silver” pied. Here is a picture of the other chick. I also think this is a hen. Would she be considered a black shoulder? Also, could you please share how you are able to tell the male from the female just by looking at them? I’d like to be able to ID them in the future. I’m pretty sure my white chick is a male just by his size and his tendency to be more aggressive towards the other chicks.
This Pied is a hen also, you can tell by the absence of barring on her back and wings. There is some barring on her tail which shows that she has some Green blood making her a hybrid (Spalding). She is def not a BS although she could be split to BS depending on her parents.

Thanks for the response. Im confused about the Spalding blood though because the parents were sold to me as IB Silver Pied. Would that possible if the parents are true IB Silver Pied?

Thanks for the response. Im confused about the Spalding blood though because the parents were sold to me as IB Silver Pied. Would that possible if the parents are true IB Silver Pied?
The chances of actually having a pure IB in the US are pretty slim, most of our birds have been mixed at some point. Even a small amount of Green blood can make minor changes in the phenotype and may take an experienced eye to see. Whether she is a hybrid or not does not change the fact that she is a beautiful bird and will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom