Need help with my dog

Having a dog that is not potty trained is different than a dog that has been kept in a pen/kennel it's whole life. I have seen dogs so bad they can't even walk in straight lines, they only go on circles because they've never been had room to run. From your brief description I think you are dealing with more than just "not potty trained".
What are you thinking? Just cause I am curious he run and moves and the veterinarian said that is joints and and everything look good so I am just wondering what I need to ask my vet and or look for

If he got conditioned to peeing and pooping in his crate as a puppy you are going to have a devil of a time training him to do otherwise. Housebreaking exploits the fact that dogs do not like to relieve themselves in their den. Obviously, that doesn't bother him. One thing you might try is to keep him leashed to you during the day. Every time he shows signs he might have to go, take him outside. If he goes, praise him lavishly. You might put some of his droppings in the area where you want him to go.

There are things called male wraps. They are for incontinent male dogs. They go around the middle of the dog, are fastened with velcro, and they come in both disposable and washable forms. The disposable ones are made of the same material as baby diapers and the washable ones have a place to insert a sanitary napkin to absorb the urine. You can find them on amazon and in places like Petsmart. Good luck.
Ok but will that teach him that thays what he does? Or will it just help in the meantime?

I am home all day everyday and we are outside probably half the time taking care of chickens and everything so my dogs follow me around alot. The only reason o leave is to go to church or run to the store. I usally let him out every hour. But he cant even make it 2 hrs without going to the rest room.
Can you set up an outside place for him to stay, when you are not able to watch him?
He cannot pee in the house when he is not in the house!
And every time he pees outdoors, he gets a little more practice at doing the right thing.

You could try using a dog door. Give the dog only a SMALL space inside the house (enough to lie down comfortably, and no more.) Give him a bigger pen outside, that is appropriate for peeing. Of course you would need to teach him to go through the dog door. But this lets him go out whenever he needs to, no matter how often that is. If the only problem is how long he can hold it, this will solve the problem. If he also has a problem with where he thinks he is allowed to pee, this may still help but will not be a complete solution.

I have noticed that dogs like to pee in the same kind of place they are used to peeing (grass, or carpet, or dirt, or snow, or whatever.) And the ability to hold his pee for longer should increase as he gets older. So if you set up a way to manage the situation for now and keep him from peeing in the house (like an outdoor pen, or dog door, or taking him out every single hour all day long), then the problem may solve itself over the next few months. He will get more in the habit of peeing on outdoor surfaces, less in the habit of peeing on indoor surfaces, and will be able to hold it for longer between breaks. (I do know that "just a few months" can feel like FOREVER when you are living through it!)

The usual potty training advice says to keep the dog in a small space, because he will hold his pee to avoid soiling his "den." For this particular dog, it seems he is already used to peeing where he lives. So you might try always keeping him in big spaces (preferably outside), so he can move away from his pee, and get used to being clean all the time. If he is in the house, this will not help keep your house clean-- it will just change whether the dog lies in the puddle of pee or can move away from it.

I also agree with the suggestion to get him tested for a urinary infection. If he has one, you want to treat it before it gets worse, and it may make the potty training much easier. And if he does not have one, you will know it is not the problem.

Yes this makes sense and I do have a tiny dog house will a little like run. However hes not even 20pbs with that be ok? I tried keeping him in my garage in a kennel with acsess to outside but that didnt work cause he like to poop on concrete. But that does make sense and I like the idea.

Can you set up an outside place for him to stay, when you are not able to watch him?
He cannot pee in the house when he is not in the house!
And every time he pees outdoors, he gets a little more practice at doing the right thing.

You could try using a dog door. Give the dog only a SMALL space inside the house (enough to lie down comfortably, and no more.) Give him a bigger pen outside, that is appropriate for peeing. Of course you would need to teach him to go through the dog door. But this lets him go out whenever he needs to, no matter how often that is. If the only problem is how long he can hold it, this will solve the problem. If he also has a problem with where he thinks he is allowed to pee, this may still help but will not be a complete solution.

I have noticed that dogs like to pee in the same kind of place they are used to peeing (grass, or carpet, or dirt, or snow, or whatever.) And the ability to hold his pee for longer should increase as he gets older. So if you set up a way to manage the situation for now and keep him from peeing in the house (like an outdoor pen, or dog door, or taking him out every single hour all day long), then the problem may solve itself over the next few months. He will get more in the habit of peeing on outdoor surfaces, less in the habit of peeing on indoor surfaces, and will be able to hold it for longer between breaks. (I do know that "just a few months" can feel like FOREVER when you are living through it!)

The usual potty training advice says to keep the dog in a small space, because he will hold his pee to avoid soiling his "den." For this particular dog, it seems he is already used to peeing where he lives. So you might try always keeping him in big spaces (preferably outside), so he can move away from his pee, and get used to being clean all the time. If he is in the house, this will not help keep your house clean-- it will just change whether the dog lies in the puddle of pee or can move away from it.

I also agree with the suggestion to get him tested for a urinary infection. If he has one, you want to treat it before it gets worse, and it may make the potty training much easier. And if he does not have one, you will know it is not the problem.
He can hold his pee for about an hour and 40 mins

Dogs don't understand words till they hear them repeated many times.Actions speak more .I sure get some flack but here goes
Rubb their face in the mess immediately carry out side The message catches on quicker.Cheers

Yes this makes sense and I do have a tiny dog house will a little like run. However hes not even 20pbs with that be ok?
If it is only for an hour or two at a time, when you cannot watch him, I think it should be fine unless the outdoor temperature is very hot or very cold. You already mentioned spending half the day outside with the dogs, so I assume your current temperatures are moderate enough to be safe.

He can hold his pee for about an hour and 40 mins
Then I would probably make sure he never needs to hold it for more than 1 hour 30 minutes, at least for the next several weeks, and then see if he can go a bit longer. I know that may be a lot of work for you, but if he really cannot hold his pee any longer, his only choice is to pee wherever he is. And every time he pees in the house, he is strengthening the habit of peeing there.

I have read that some dogs have different abilities to hold it, even if they are the same breed with the same training. I definitely know some people that can hold it longer than others. So he may just have a small bladder :idunno

Dogs don't understand words till they hear them repeated many times.
True, but they often understand tone of voice without trouble. So the right tone of voice can tell them they did a bad thing, even if they do not know the actual words.

Dogs don't understand words till they hear them repeated many times.Actions speak more .I sure get some flack but here goes
Rubb their face in the mess immediately carry out side The message catches on quicker.Cheers
I am not going to rub his face in it that ruins them mentally and there nose physical

If it is only for an hour or two at a time, when you cannot watch him, I think it should be fine unless the outdoor temperature is very hot or very cold. You already mentioned spending half the day outside with the dogs, so I assume your current temperatures are moderate enough to be safe.

Then I would probably make sure he never needs to hold it for more than 1 hour 30 minutes, at least for the next several weeks, and then see if he can go a bit longer. I know that may be a lot of work for you, but if he really cannot hold his pee any longer, his only choice is to pee wherever he is. And every time he pees in the house, he is strengthening the habit of peeing there.

I have read that some dogs have different abilities to hold it, even if they are the same breed with the same training. I definitely know some people that can hold it longer than others. So he may just have a small bladder :idunno
Ok. But it will get better right

Back
Top Bottom