Need help with my dog

Pics
Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
Well I have raised many dogs of the years but never one that pee in his kennel,pooped on concrete, and pees in his kennel, and he happy pees. Am o doing something wrong? I love the guy but holy crap. Would diapers help so something. Or what am I doing wrong

Attachments

• 20220421_152839.jpg
    20220421_152839.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220318_191101.jpg
    20220318_191101.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Resized_20220421_165856.jpeg
    Resized_20220421_165856.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 6
I am home all day everyday and we are outside probably half the time taking care of chickens and everything so my dogs follow me around alot. The only reason o leave is to go to church or run to the store. I usally let him out every hour. But he cant even make it 2 hrs without going to the rest room.

Sounds pretty normal for a pup that age.

It's hard I know.

One thing that helped here was to train them to paw a spring loaded doorstop to ask for out. That sound travels very well so no matter where I am in the house I can hear it.
I trained ours by tapping it with my foot and doing a super excited "Go outside?". Once outside we played a few minutes then went back in, a half hour later repeat, and repeat, and repeat. They catch on pretty fast.

There is a lot to be said about positive reinforcement. Reward good behavior/ignore bad behavior. A Dog looks at the pack leader for acceptance, you can see it when they do anything. While you're cleaning up their mess (or interacting with them in any situation) they are watching you. If you say anything during this point of interaction, it could be seen as acceptance of their behavior. It is, a "reaction".
Believe it or not, it's not any different with Humans.

Cocker Spaniels are usually super sweet, but notoriously stubborn with house-training. Pet store/puppy mill puppies can be even tougher, but not impossible. It CAN be done!

We've faced the same issue with a couple of our dogs, too. One of them was ... you guessed it ... a Cocker Spaniel! We came across a stepped approach that worked wonders for our little hard-heads. It took over a month, but it wasn't difficult and everyone kept relatively sane.

First and foremost, learn your puppy's signals. Most will sniff around in circles when looking for a good spot to "go." Watch the timing, too, to learn how long your pup takes to "through-put" a meal or drink. We had to have ours outside about ten minutes after a good drink, about twenty for a full meal.

Indoors:
  • When your puppy isn't with you on a leash, keep him confined in a small area. A bathroom, laundry or mudroom work well. If you don't have a small room, try an oversized kennel. Baby gates are your friends!
  • Cover the ENTIRE floor with newspapers. Any place that isn't covered with a bed needs to be papered. Make sure that no matter where he relieves himself, he's doing it on the surface you want him to use. You could also use puppy pee pads, but that can get really expensive.
  • After a week of this, reduce the size of the acceptable surface. The idea is to make the bathroom area smaller without making the entire room smaller. If your puppy uses the smaller area, you can start reducing it every three or four days. Don't rush this part or you'll undo all your progress. Once he starts going off the papered area, you'll need to go back to square one again. Trust me on this one. We learned it the hard way!
  • Eventually, you should be able to have a single pee pad/paper spot. At that point, we left the paper/pads up all the time, but our dog rarely used it unless it was an emergency. It was more of an insurance policy than an actual necessity.
Outdoors:
  • Whenever you take your puppy outside to do his business, keep him on a leash until he finishes. As soon as he does, heap on the "Good Boy" praise! If you're in a fenced yard, let him off the leash to run and play with him. He'll learn that getting straight to business means getting on with playtime sooner.
  • Always go to the same spot in the yard. Putting a used newspaper or pee pad there for encouragement can help.
  • Choose a command that he can associate with relieving himself. It serves as a reminder, later on. Sixteen years later, our old pooch still knows that "Hurry Up" means it's time to "go," and he nearly always gets on with it.
Patience, consistency and persistence are all key to making this work. Just as in potty training a child, it takes time. Accept that there will be lapses and accidents, but in the end, you'll have a well-mannered family member ... and a cleaner, nicer smelling home!
Good luck.

Oh - and for the record ... your new puppy is adorable!

Thanks this helps...I was starting to get discouraged! I will try this method I just get worried that if I use puppy pads he will still think its acceptable to go in the house.
You're very welcome! Just be patient. Right now, I know it seems like you'll NEVER get your new "baby" trained, but this won't be forever. In the long run, though, you're investing a month or two in a family member who will give you years of love in return ... and judging by that beautiful face, he'll be well worth the education you put into him, now!

What are you thinking? Just cause I am curious he run and moves and the veterinarian said that is joints and and everything look good so I am just wondering what I need to ask my vet and or look for
He's young at least. You stand a better chance of fixing this t because of that. Personally I get the feeling he's healthy but a quick check for a UTI won't hurt.
I really think the issue is that the dogs natural instincts to not sit in their own filth has been basically overridden out of necessity. It's very hard to house break a dog when you can't harness their natural denning instincts.
Usually you start with a small space like a kennel so they hold it for a short time because they don't want to mess themselves. And you slowly increase the time and expand they space you expect them not to mess in
First a kennel, then a small room, then eventually they see the whole house as their den. First for an hour, then for a little more and a little more, until they can hold it for a few hours.
I really think getting with a trainer will be your best bet. Like I said, you aren't starting from scratch. The dog has already been trained that they have to sit in their filth. You have to untrain that and then retrain.

Also, this is a big thing. You can correct then for potting In the house if you catch them in the act. Just a quick "ahah! Not that!" And usher them outside. Punishing a dog after the fact does not work. Dogs don't have human logic. If you come upon an accident after the fact and you fuss at them all you did is fuss at them for going to the bathroom (making it more difficult to get them to go in front of you outside) NOT for going to the bathroom in the house. They simply don't have that logic.

I worked as a dog trainer for years and I could give a 1 hour seminar on potty training lol. I could go on and on. So I think getting with a trainer who can walk you through all of this will just be much less of a headache than trying to do this on your own. You've clearly potty trained dogs before without issue. This is a different case than normal.

Anyway here is an update otis have been playing in our creek amd going for walks. When we met with the training lady she told me that it's because I bought him after his prime zone...so we started off little by little he has stopped peeing in his cage....they did treat for a uti. Also he is doing very good and with be a gentleman some day....is it just me or boy dogs slower then girl dogs? I have always had girls and this is my first boy and he just acts differently lol than most dogs I have had.

Maybe train him to a dog toilet? Just a thought.
What's a dog toliet? I think the reason he does this is because he was a clearance puppy so he was 4 almost 5 months when I got him and I think he sat in a crate in a pull barn and pooped. And pee in his kennel so he does understand that's not what we do

Back
Top Bottom