Need help with my duck run, to hard, to mucky, to nasty!

I know my duck palace isn't a practical option for most people, but giving ducks more space seems to be really effective. I have two aviaries and when the grass gets sparse in one I move them into the other aviary and replant the grass in the first. I also keep their straw back a few feet from their barn room doorway so they don't get their bedding too wet. Obviously not an option when one doesn't have the space.
Other issue, my duck coop is basically a repurposed old out door dog kennel, wrapped, and rewrapped underneath, and around with chicken wire, to keep raccoons from getting there fingers int there. I wish I had a nice big barn got keep them in!

WE already built the big area, and it is easiest because it is safe, and predator proof, and we down has not wry about herding the ducks to the tractor for the day. Covered run, unless we found a way to let the snow drain off some how, would collapse the wheel run because of snow build up in the winter. If I could have a covered run that didn't allow snow to build up, it would be a dream come true and I am all for it!
Other issue, my duck coop is basically a repurposed old out door dog kennel, wrapped, and rewrapped underneath, and around with chicken wire, to keep raccoons from getting there fingers int there. I wish I had a nice big barn got keep them in!
I understand. We were lucky that the property we bought already had a barn. There are limits to my resources!

From my experience with wood chips they do break down, but they also improve the soil at the same time. If those are free I would give them a try. You can always add more on top similar to a deep litter method. I like them well enough I got a load of chips for the entire backyard to help improve the soil in general. We have clay and sand; the clay is very slippery when wet and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost broke my neck out there in it. The chips will help absorb moisture and create traction.

@Weeg let us know how the chips work out for you whenever you put them in! Hopefully they work!
Oh I totally forgot about this thread! I may as well update you!
So I have a whole new plan, in the spring, we are margin two chicken tractors, one for any roosters I hatch, and are thinning out the flock and hatching bantam eggs. All the new chickens will live in the tractors, so it will be just the ducks in the run, which will open it up for them.
Then, I am going to put sod down, while being careful for possible plastic mesh, and then putting plater boxes in the run. I am going to do about 4-5 plating boxes, and plant herbs, and greens in them. I will have a temporary fence around the boxes, but once the herbs get big I will take the fence down. Then, I am going to plant shrubs and bushes along the fence line. Thinking, Huckleberry, Thornless Rose, Butterfly bush alternatives, Maybe a climbing plant, but need to look into what is safe for them, and possibly Blueberries!

I have a thread on it that has suggestions others have given, and it explains the plan again. I will also plant shrubs around there pond, maybe Hawthorn, and will be making the pond deeper as well. Tell me what you think! I will probably still put the aged chips down, since my ground there is really dead, and then soil on top of that. I think it will look really nice, and hopefully soak up the rain in the wet season. Tell me what you think!

Back
Top Bottom