Need help with my flock

Just give them all flock food.   You don't want your egg layers getting any of the medicated feed.  You don't want chicks getting layer food, but all-flock is fine.    And at 10 weeks old, the regular grit is probably good, but you might leave some smaller just in case.

This may go without saying, but if you're feeding all flock, be sure to provide an extra calcium supply, free choice, for your layers (crushed oyster or egg shell).

Thin shelled eggs are no fun.

momto5ladies, If you can get the big girls to help with the transitions, then that would be good, I see what you mean. My 2 youngster, Rocky and Poulette imprinted on me, as I got them as day olds. Once I moved them to the coop around 5 weeks, I had to sit with them every evening or they'd cry pitifully. They liked flying onto my shoulders, and didn't want me to leave them. But they outgrew it, and started going to bed all by themselves. And @ japalmatier, I don't know the answer to your question about the pecking of combs....hopefully someone will see it who can help....

Integrating new birds can be nerve wracking, but I've done it numerous times and they all co-exist together fairly peacefully. My lower pecking order hens get snagged sometimes by my more assertive hens, but no blood drawn and things calm down pretty quickly. It's almost like it's a reminder peck.

I have 3 three year old hens - top dogs.
I have 7 two year old hens - mixed pecking order.
I have 21 one year old birds - mixed pecking order.
3 14 week old Easter Egger Pullets recently accepted into the flock and close to the point of lay.
3 four week old chicks with a broody hen. Integrated on day two when she brought them over to the flock.

All of them co-exist together. They all know their places and the best way to integrate them is to free range them together. They will chose where to go to roost at night when it's time to lock them up.

Thanks, I'm loving the advice. Itsy and Bitsy aren't laying yet.  Only Ziggy is laying.  Which brings up another few questions.

The older girls are on flock food, the little ones are on medicated chick feed. How long do the babies need the medicated chick feed? They also have chick grit and the older ones are on poultry grit which has larger pieces. I guess I should just have both out, but the food I really worry about. I learned about Flock food from this forum. I also have oyster shells out for Ziggy which the older girls enjoy as well.

Also does anyone think I'm keeping the girls up to late?  I put them in their house at about 11pm and wake up time is 5:30am.  Of course, they rest during the day. And is it ok for Ziggy to fly around so much with an egg inside her?

All flock should be fine. I think medicated is only recommend for a few weeks anyways. We never used medicated just switched back to grower (all flock) when we added the new young ones.

11pm is way to late for bed time. My go to roost between 8 and 830 just as the hue from the setting sun changes in the sky. You should probably aim for. Tad earlier so they and adjust while there is still light out. At the latest the littles should go in as soon as you notice the older girls starting to go in. The coop should be open all day for the chickens as it provides a safe place to hide as well.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question that may be useful here as well.

I've seen a lot of people say "no blood, no foul". My girls don't feather pull though, they go for the comb. Is it normal to have black specks on the comb (scabs etc), or is the fact that they are going for the comb and not the feathers something to be concerned about?

They don't seem particularly aggressive. I believe they have plenty of space. They just seem to have targeted on a more sensitive area.

Combs seem to be easy grabbing points especially if 2 chickens are standing side by side. And yes the black spots are likely scabs. Fortunately it seems the combs are not the same kind of red that drives chickens crazy. But you do still need to make sure the comb is not actively bleeding or gets infected. It is a little more tender though so possibly more likely to bleed at least a little.

Combs seem to be easy grabbing points especially if 2 chickens are standing side by side. And yes the black spots are likely scabs. Fortunately it seems the combs are not the same kind of red that drives chickens crazy. But you do still need to make sure the comb is not actively bleeding or gets infected. It is a little more tender though so possibly more likely to bleed at least a little.

Gotcha. They are not actively bleeding. This occurred once and blu-kote seemed to resolve the issue. There are still scabs/bruises from time to time, but as long as this isn't totally deviant behavior I guess I won't worry too much.

Thanks again.

What Bitsy is doing is normal. that's why you have the fence and wait a while. I'd just keep doing what your'e doing.

Ditch the light at night. Let them rise and sleep with the sun.

Flying or being active in a layer isn't an issue. The egg won't break inside her or anything like that.

Unless you're in a particularly damp area, you should be fine with non-medicated feed this time of year. Medicated feed is a preventative against cocci, which thrives in warm, wet environments. This time of year, most places are dry enough you don't need it.

Layers can eat medicated feed just fine. Amprollium has no egg withdrawal time. It's not an antibiotic, so you're fine if your layers eat some.

I'm in the All-in-one camp for feed. I have all ages and genders, so everyone gets the one feed. Oyster shell for the ladies and I'm good to go.

Comb pecking is pretty common. It's a bit more aggressive than simple pecking, and in my experience it's been when two birds of basically equal rank are sorting things out and neither one wants to back down. If that's the case, I just let them work it out, cause they're going to have to figure that out for themselves. Now, if it's one bird hunting another down and tearing at the comb while the other bird is trying to get away, that's a different story and I'd probably pull the aggressor and work on management as far as space and hiding places.

momto5ladies, If you can get the big girls to help with the transitions, then that would be good, I see what you mean. My 2 youngster, Rocky and Poulette imprinted on me, as I got them as day olds. Once I moved them to the coop around 5 weeks, I had to sit with them every evening or they'd cry pitifully. They liked flying onto my shoulders, and didn't want me to leave them. But they outgrew it, and started going to bed all by themselves. And @ japalmatier, I don't know the answer to your question about the pecking of combs....hopefully someone will see it who can help....

You so get it!

I'm glad I asked about the girls hours. I was a bit concerned that I was keeping them up so late but it was so fun watching them chase moths. I'll make sure they get tucked in earlier now.

Back
Top Bottom