Need help with my Silky Roo's eye please..... (with pics) Some new questions... Please HELP.......

PAchickenlover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
York
I noticed today that my Silky rooster's eye is getting puffy, well the part of his face right n front of his eye anyhow. I am not sure what to do for him... I have him in isolation right now but any help would be appreciated, thank you..
.The last pic here you can really see the puffyness... It feels squishy when i touch it but it is tender as my roo pulled away and shook his head gently... I have some medacines here.. I just need to know what to do or give him... Thanks again..
Mollie

Last edited:
Im not sure. Perhaps trying to soak it with warm water?
Do you know how it happened?

I noticed today that my Silky rooster's eye is getting puffy, well the part of his face right n front of his eye anyhow. I am not sure what to do for him... I have him in isolation right now but any help would be appreciated, thank you..
.The last pic here you can really see the puffyness... It feels squishy when i touch it but it is tender as my roo pulled away and shook his head gently... I have some medacines here.. I just need to know what to do or give him... Thanks again..
Mollie

I have no idea how it happened... I don't know if it is an injury or an infection... The eye is watery.. with what looks a little like bubbles with it... don't know if that helps.

Ok so what do I do for an infected tear duct? I really want to help this guy.. He is my only silky roo and I want to start hatching chicks here in the near future... Please HELP.....

I had an OEGB with a similar problem. The feed that he was eating was going into the nasal cavity in the roof of his mouth and was packing up against his eye. I would take a Q-Tip and push the gunk out of his eye then fill it with neosporin. There was a very foul smell. He lost one eye. And then his other eye started doing it. I tried to help him, but even after all my efforts it was to severe and I had to put him down.

Ok, I brought my roo in and massaged the swelled part in front of his eye. Some yellowish (some of it jello consistancy) stuff came out of both his eye area and his nistril. Actually a good bit of stuff came out. It has a fowl odor to it also.. Any ideas? Where do I go from here? Or is it better to cull?

Last edited:
I tried different feeds but nothing seemed to work for me. I would clean him up and the next time he ate it was full again. I decided to cull because there was no other choice. If you start now, you might be about to save him.

That bird looks like he has multiple issues going on from what I can tell by the pics. It looks like he may have Favus (white, chalky deposits on his comb and wattles), which is something you see in immunocompromised birds. And he has a severe sinus infection that has spread into his orbital area. I think he needs to see a vet. He is going to need a heavy-duty antibiotic and possibly some draining of his sinus cavities to fix the infection. He is also going to need some treatment for the Favus if that is what he has. A vet can take a scraping and ID what the crud is growing on his face.

Sorry. He is too ill for us to be much help. I think he may need a professional if you wish to save him.

i can not take my Roo to a vet right now. We do not have the money for that. My husband is laid off. So what, if anything, can i do for him here at home, or is there nothing that i can do? I am sure I can get another silky Roo from some where... So Is it really worth the effort? If there is something I can do to clear him up on my own I will try it.. But if not i am not going to let him suffer...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom