• Blue Andelusians

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Candace69

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Flint Hills, KS
HI! I want to add a new chicken breed (or two) to our flock. Mainly we look at egg laying for us, and looking at hatching. Want a good chicken, good mothering, not one that is super aggressive but doesn't lay down and say eat me if a predator happens up; want one that fits in well.
I have had and Like Phoenix, Domiques, Silver Spangled Hamburg, Cockuu Murans, Speckled Sussex, Americaunas, I know I misspelled some, but you get the idea....

The ones I am looking at and can you give me input on them is:
Golden Campines
Egyptian Fayoumis
Red Caps
Lakenvelders
Blue Andelusians

Thanks tons is advance!!!!!

I have not had any of the breeds you're looking at other than the Golden Lakenvelders. I do have two of those right now & IVY could tell you more about them since she has had them longer than I have, I got my two from her. The two I have seem like pretty good layers, but are very flighty, they don't like me anywhere near them at all. They have not settled down even after having them for awhile. However they do seem like pretty hard birds & can run & fly fast. You might if you have time to do so look for the threads on the breeds you're wanting & hang out on them for awhile & ask questions. There are threads on about every breed I think on BYC.

If you're just wanting good egg laying chickens, my Barred Rocks are the top hens in my flock, they're the best & most reliable layers along with the Red Stars. The Barred Rock hens tend to be at the top of the pecking order, but after that is established they're fine. Then the Red Stars come next in line, they're really good layers & not much upsets them. Both of these breeds are hardy chickens & the Barred Rocks are a combination type that can be used for meat also.

Just in looking up these breeds it seems like most all of them are smaller type of chickens & more flighty than other breeds. They're also most of them anyway more rare type of breeds. Maybe some people with these breeds will see your post & add their info.

Oh, I have some of the stand by's the rhode island and the Astrolorps. I do like the rare ones, which is why we're looking at these. I know the phoenix, sumatra and Yokohama are flighty too, I'm ok with that, they are hearty and excellent moms and layers. I just don't want super aggressive or really puny types, those that are so delicate they fall over for any lil thing. lol I LOVE my speckled sussex as much as the Astrolorps in their egg laying; I'm going to order in about 25 or so of those, and some polish, but I wanted to try a different one. I love the rare ones; I am looking forward to picking up a few of the ones with you later.

Back
Top Bottom