Need help with "premature" baby chick

ajoliveira

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Our chicken managed to hatch all but 2 eggs, that were left in the nest alone for almost a whole day.
In the afternoon my mother had the idea to open the eggs and see how far along the fetuses went. We opened the first egg and it was dead small fetus and then, we opened the second one that, for our surprise, it was alive and moving and even though its eyes were closed and it still had a umbilical chord connected to the yolk and it started chirping almost immediately.
We couldn't let it die, of course, so we kept it in half of the eggshell and since we don't have a heater and we were afraid the chicken would stomp it to death, I kept it near my computer wrapped around some cloths, it's the best heat source we could figure out.
I left it there until this morning when it started moving and chirping loud. When look at it I realized it was "hatching", it was picking its way out of the cloths. The problem is it doesn't seem to be able to stretch one of its legs, it tries to stand up but since it can't stretch its left leg, it just rolls over.
Is it normal for baby chicks to be that way? The other ones that hatched normally didn't have this problem, I'm hoping its normal but I assume it might have something to do with it being taken off the eggshell prematurely.

I wish you all the best with this baby. I don't know what to tell you but hopefully this will get moved up and someone with more experience will be able to answer your question.

Give it a little time. It *might* be completely normal and just learning how to use its legs, which can take a few hours, or it might have an issue (which could also explain why it couldn't/didn't hatch on its own). There isn't a way to say with assurance from just this description. Hopefully by morning it will be doing better.

Back
Top Bottom