Need help with quail

Menchu1961

Hatching
May 30, 2017
Hi. I'm new to the site. I recently acquired 4 cotunix quails. 3 females and one male. I've had them of almost 2 wks, but have gotten only 3 eggs from them. One w/o shell. I was giving them chicken crumble for layers, but after reading some, I changed the food to while game bird with 30% protein. I am also supplementing with oyster shel crushed and mealworms. They have 14 hs of light. No predators. Planty of space. Any suggestions. Thank you for any advise.

It will take them several more weeks to really get settled in. Then they will increase egg production. They are still stressed

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, it may take a couple more weeks for them to relax enough to begin laying. Be careful with 30% protein food and quail. This high of protein feed should only be used for birds you intend on eating or babies. The standard hen can't handle this high protein and it will cause her to lay too frequently or send out more than one yolk a day. Egg binding is very common in quail that are on high protein food. 24% to 26% is much better. And if you have males in with hens, I would stick to 24% as they can refuse to eat high protein food and end up hungry and mal nourished. They don't need such high protein food either.

Good luck with your quail and welcome to our roost! :)

Thank you. I will low the protein in the food. I got 3 eggs today. One for each hen. The male seems to be eating well, but I'm going to low the protein some and given then some egg shells as they seem to be having a hard time eating the oister shell because they are too bib.

Back
Top Bottom