Need Help With Symptoms I've Never Seen Before

Haunted55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Maine
I have a 4 week old Blue Laced Wyandotte that is doing something I have never seen before. Every 15 - 20 mins., she will put her neck out and make a noise similar to a baby crow.

Two days ago this bird had a slight clicking sound coming from the beak when she breathed. There was no sound coming from the chest at all and still isn't. It sounded like a human baby with a cold, only thing I can equate it to, sorry. Thought it could have been a sinus infection as we just went through temps that were in the 90s from temps that had been 45 - 60 degrees, plus the pine pollen right now is brutal. Now this, almost like she had something in her throat and was trying to clear it or something.

Feed is Blue Seal Multi-Flock Starter/Grower, non medicated. Water, 9.5% Corid at 2 tsp. per gallon and 1/2 tbls. Duramycin-10 added as well. No vitamins or probiotics added right now. They are on day 2 of the Corid. Slightly crowded conditions in their brooder, but nothing unmanagable.

This bird is now in a brooder with another who is starting to show the same symptoms. I am still giving them the mix of Duramycin and Corid. I have checked through disease symptoms and cannot find anything that even comes close to matching. These 2 birds are eating and drinking very well. I have no worries on that end of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a 4 week old Blue Laced Wyandotte that is doing something I have never seen before. Every 15 - 20 mins., she will put her neck out and make a noise similar to a baby crow.

Two days ago this bird had a slight clicking sound coming from the beak when she breathed. There was no sound coming from the chest at all and still isn't. It sounded like a human baby with a cold, only thing I can equate it to, sorry. Thought it could have been a sinus infection as we just went through temps that were in the 90s from temps that had been 45 - 60 degrees, plus the pine pollen right now is brutal. Now this, almost like she had something in her throat and was trying to clear it or something.

Feed is Blue Seal Multi-Flock Starter/Grower, non medicated. Water, 9.5% Corid at 2 tsp. per gallon and 1/2 tbls. Duramycin-10 added as well. No vitamins or probiotics added right now. They are on day 2 of the Corid. Slightly crowded conditions in their brooder, but nothing unmanagable.

This bird is now in a brooder with another who is starting to show the same symptoms. I am still giving them the mix of Duramycin and Corid. I have checked through disease symptoms and cannot find anything that even comes close to matching. These 2 birds are eating and drinking very well. I have no worries on that end of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Does she have grit? Possible she is a he and starting to crow,i have heard of some chicks trying to crow this young.

Doesn't apply, this has nothing to do with crop or anything with eating or drinking, kinda wish it did, would be an easier thing to treat. This is some kind of respiratory issue of some kind, but one I've never seen before. Thank-you for your reply though.

Could it be gapeworms, or are those ruled out, too? I know they can cause head shaking/stretching and are sometimes accompanied by a 'clearing the throat' sound.

Doesn't apply, this has nothing to do with crop or anything with eating or drinking, kinda wish it did, would be an easier thing to treat. This is some kind of respiratory issue of some kind, but one I've never seen before. Thank-you for your reply though.
Nothing stuck in her throat?

Could it be gapeworms, or are those ruled out, too? I know they can cause head shaking/stretching and are sometimes accompanied by a 'clearing the throat' sound.

Nothing stuck in her throat?
Shouldn't be Gapeworm at this age. They haven't been out of the brooder yet and that is inside my home. No head shaking, just the thrusting of the neck and a sound like a 'caw' of a baby crow. Not really a 'caw' but close. Intermittent as well. right now she is sleeping and she isn't making a sound.

I can't see or feel anything stuck. Was thinking it may have been a small piece of shavings, but now have another starting to show symptoms. No clue what it could be. Like I said, like nothing I've ever seen before. Doesn't fit IB, MG, Coryza, or any of the other diseases poultry can get. I am pretty sure it is something respiratory but no idea if it's bacterial or fungal.

Re-read gapeworm data. Mine started like that from some day old birds I bought. No one could explain as the seller swears they don't have a problem. From reading I found there is a possibility that an adult can have them and not show symptoms for a long time but may pass with eggs. I couldn't find the article, but it was from a University. I treated all my birds with Ivermectin (pain in the ...). I culled all suspect birds. I now have 2 more that were in cages near by that seem to be having other problems. I've made the hard discission to cull a bunch more and wash down all cages, feeders and waterers with a strong bleach solution as well as walls and saturate dirt floor. May seem extreme, but my flock often follows me into that building where I keep my cages.

Re-read gapeworm data. Mine started like that from some day old birds I bought. No one could explain as the seller swears they don't have a problem. From reading I found there is a possibility that an adult can have them and not show symptoms for a long time but may pass with eggs. I couldn't find the article, but it was from a University. I treated all my birds with Ivermectin (pain in the ...). I culled all suspect birds. I now have 2 more that were in cages near by that seem to be having other problems. I've made the hard discission to cull a bunch more and wash down all cages, feeders and waterers with a strong bleach solution as well as walls and saturate dirt floor. May seem extreme, but my flock often follows me into that building where I keep my cages.
I will. I had no idea it could come through the eggs. Wonderful.....Marek's isn't enough I guess, lol. I guess I am going to have to do some serious reading, because these are supposed to be 'replacement' birds for the ones I lost last year.

Now the question....is it possible to use the wormer with Corid or will it be too much of an overload on an already sick system?

Back
Top Bottom