Need help with water flow

Hard 'Tarp Lesson'.

so the question is : for metal structure lik this, is it never ok to put tarp over it? what is the safe way to put a tarp over OR under?

I have a wooden cube structure. We did not put tarp on top precisely because of the concern over the "sail" effect either lifting the structure or collapsing the structure.

We put our tarp inside the structure with a slanted slope so rain/snow can slide down. But since the tarp cover is inside the structure, it's a headache to direct the water/snow out of the structure. (so far we've managed to, but it's far from ideal, especially not esthetically pleasing. )

Many people have metal structure like @laneaj, and many kits even come with the tarp cover fitted to cover over. Some structures have round roof, it seems like put a tarp over is the only way to go to provide shield from rain/snow. What is a good solution?? especially if putting up a hard roof is not an option??

Last edited:
Where ever you use a tarp on a structure, you need to make sure it won't hold water.

The rounded roof or pitched roof both won't hold water - but snow is a different matter, You'll need to diligently remove the snow periodically especially for wet snow.

The picture from OP @laneaj did not show snow on top unlike some other photo we saw from the forum.

The rounded roof or pitched roof both won't hold water - but snow is a different matter, You'll need to diligently remove the snow periodically especially for wet snow.

The picture from OP @laneaj did not show snow on top unlike some other photo we saw from the forum.
We had 7" (very seldom happens here) a couple weeks back. I believe that added to the l weakening of the structure as a whole because I noticed the hardware cloth had a sway in the center areas during that time frame. My leveling the run just added to that weakening I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom