Need help with water flow

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Well if there is any good out of rain day after day then 7" snow then more rain...I guess it's that I'm getting a chance to look at the crazy water flow from standing on the deck overlooking the raised garden bed, run and coop!
I'm not very good at this type stuff but yall are!
Can yall take a look at these 2 pics I just took...ground is most definitely saturated. Unsure if ground got to freeze completely or not...it was just last Sunday when I got out there and dug the trench to the right of the coop...then quickly turned to sleet and snow til yesterday when the thunderstorms hit.
If you zoom in on pics you can see the water on surface...of course it looks as if it begins to the left of the trench I dug but then ends up flowing into trench middle ways down.
Should I dig there beside the garden and follow that path then connect it up to the trench?
And I'm not sure what to do on the run side...I have a garden hose laid out where I had planned to dig but it seems way off from where the water is showing up.
I sure do appreciate yall helping me figure this out. I know it comes naturally to so many of yall...but not me.
20220109_080117.jpg
20220109_080108.jpg

Difficult to tell from your pictures, but possibly a french drain at a higher point above the coop to stop run off from flowing into the lawn.

Is the area the coop is in and where you dug the trench in a low lying area or in a dip of the lawn?

Difficult to tell from your pictures, but possibly a french drain at a higher point above the coop to stop run off from flowing into the lawn.

Is the area the coop is in and where you dug the trench in a low lying area or in a dip of the lawn?
This article shows pics from down at the ground level...the run and coop are on a slope with the coop side being few inches lower than the left run side.
Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

Learning as I go...take 3 coop/run 2021

What began as an empty nester's Mothers Day gift from my three adult children has turned into the most expensive yet peaceful time I've had since coming to know God! While the cute little pre-fab coops seemed perfect for a small backyard and had all of the cuts and measurements already done...

Great job on the coop and article.
In your first pic, I'm assuming you're taking the pic from the house? And the ground slopes from the house to the coop/ run?
Thank u...yes I'm standing on top of the deck overlooking the raised garden, coop and run area.
The slope goes from the house to the raised bed then on down the hillside.

The existing trench looks like it's doing it's job.

Put on your boots and raincoat and go out to move the garden hose that's marking the proposed ditch to where the water actually is and how you can lead it downslope. :)

There's no better time to plan altering waterflow than when the water is actually flowing.
Yeah I'm just trying to get a plan before I get out there lol.
I've marked up the pics I just took...is this what yall would suggest?
I'm guessing the run side is definitely gonna need a French drain to let that pooling at run door drain.
But where would ya do the trench on that side?

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_090419.jpg
    IMG_20220109_090419.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220109_090818.jpg
    IMG_20220109_090818.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom