Ground soaked from rain/bedding

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
Hi everyone
We had tons of rain and I have been battling wet ground in my chicken run. I have a huge chicken run covered yet the ground and bedding is wet since the ground was so saturated in came up from below. My girls coop is inside the run and that’s nice and dry since it’s off the ground floor. Any tips on drying it out? I keep moving it around daily to air it out and make sure nothing molds but our land here is prone to gathering water after rain. Any tips?

If your putting bedding down your wasting money. Free mulch from tree trimmer services works much better.
Try adding more soil but banking it up towards your high grade side so water naturally drains out of coop following your grade. You could also add a "French Drain" on both high and low side of your grade to pull water away from run faster.

but our land here is prone to gathering water after rain. Any tips?
Is it because of a high water table or sloping ground that lets rains water flow into the run area?
If it's flowing in, trenches and berms should help to divert that flow elsewhere.
If it's a high water table, moving the run to higher ground would help, or as previously mentioned adding soil to the run to raise the run ground level.

Is it because of a high water table or sloping ground that lets rains water flow into the run area?
If it's flowing in, trenches and berms should help to divert that flow elsewhere.
If it's a high water table, moving the run to higher ground would help, or as previously mentioned adding soil to the run to raise the run ground level.
Sloping ground I believe. I will add some soil. Thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom