Need help with water leak.

70monte

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Aurora, MO
When it rains hard, the floor in the back of my coop under the nest boxes gets wet. The other day I discovered it was coming from the opening of the outside access door to the nest boxes. I need some ideas on how I can fix this. Here is a picture of my nest box door and how it opens. The water appears to be getting in between the gap of the door and the sides of the coop when the door is closed.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/waynetd/010.jpg

Thanks for any ideas you can give me to address this. I don't want the floor rotting out.

Wayne

Last edited:
I would try some silicone sealant in the laps. Looks like the water is running down the verticals and catching the horizontals with no seal.
Or, you could try to find some sort of rubber seal if you can close the door snugly.
Also, is that door facing the prevailing wind? Won't cure it if it is, but will make it better if you turn it away from the prevailing to lee side.

Good Luck,
Shawn

Putting some sort of roof overhang in place should help keep the water off the door. This may be more effective than trying to keep the water out of the joints after it is already there.

Chris

A roof overhang was another option I considered. I think I figured out how the water is actually getting in so I will try sealing that area and see what happens. Thanks

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom