Need help with WHT in homemade incubator w/ diagram

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Used a plastic cooler with 40 watt candelabra bulb placed 4" off the bottom on the short side beneath the handles. WHT is attached via 16" wires. 4 inch desk fan resting on the floor of cooler on opposite end of 40 watt bulb, blowing at the bulb.

10 qt-sized mason jars line up on the right and the left leaving a channel directly from the fan to the bulb.(5 on right and 5 on left) Wire mesh is supported on top. THis is where I place the thermometers and eventually the eggs...

THe WHT can be moved to any location. I have been trying several locations; the best was 97 degrees and being a perfectionist, I moved the WHT and increased the setting on the WHT. Now the bulb doesn't come on, except for a flicker once. SO the bulb is still good and the wiring is correct. I placed it close to the bulb and got a flicker, nothing more.

Where do I need to place this WHT to make it work?

What temp to set the WHT?

Last edited:
Can you please post pics, I can usually help people out when it comes to the cooler bators, and using the water heater thermostats. I would be able to tell you your problem if you got me about 4 good pics of the inside of the incubator.

Really close. like 2 inches close. you want it to trigger off the raidiant heat of the bulb, with will be closest to it. that'll give you the fastest on/off cycles, and accuracy.

Quintin P --I will see what I can do later tonight about pics. May be I can draw a pic and upload. I'm new to uploading.

Saddina --This is what I have read. To test the on of, I have held the WHT next to the bulb and get only a flicker. Will try again.

Does it make a difference which way the fan blows? Strong direct flow, or a more gentle flow?

The temp is about 95; maybe due to the motor of the fan.

Moved the WHT close to the bulb. No on/off cycling. Should I recheck all the connections ? I hate to pull off duct tape and pull apart the bulb holder assembly if not necessary.

THanks for your help. Here is a drawing:
Right pic is view from the top; left is side view. Sorry didn't know how to turn them.
80325_ariellles_incubator.jpg

Other information.
Fan-- it pivots180 degrees therefore it can direct air toward bulb or straight up, or in between.
WHT--not listed as it can be placed almost anywhere.

Jars--(Heat sinks)are currently empty in order to set up the temp correctly. Will fill when ready to do final set up.

Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Got light to come on. Here is diagram of current location.

Fan brings incubator to 95 degrees.

NOW light stays on too long, it's too hot. Not doing on/off, on/off.
What setting for the wht to start?
Is a 40 watt too big??

80325_ariellles_incubator_wht.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom