Need help with winter proofing the run

Sure I'll do that.
Definitly looking into plastic/polycarbonate panels.
Alright I'll keep the heat in mind, but will still use it in freezing weather for them. Its just a single Cozy Coop Heater. Gives me peace of mind
Most people in this climate don't wrap their runs, it's not necessary. Heat is also not needed. We simply don't get cold enough for long enough for it to be an issue assuming you have healthy teen/adult birds.
I had wood chips last winter and it was a muddy stinking mess for me and the chickens! Just didnt work for my weather.
It's not the chips + weather, as wood chips are what everyone in my immediate area uses and deep litter is what's generally recommended for a wetter climate. It could be a drainage issue? Regardless, if you didn't like it, then don't use it. :)

I have a 10 x 11 run that is half-roofed. The rest is chicken wire. I live in WA and we tend to have lots of days with wind and rain. In winter it is usually never single F digits//
Last year I had artifical heat in the coop with wood shavings and on some of the cold days I attached cardboard to the sides as wind stoppers. This summer I recently converted the run and coop to sand, but the wind blows the rain to all of the run, making it very difficult for sifting/cleaning as well as not giving the chickens lots of dry areas. I live with my family and they refuse to let me temporarily cover the rest of the top and lower sides of the coop because it would look ugly :barnie
This would be my last year with the chickens before I rehome them as I go to college. I want them to have a comfortable time here.

First off I would like to know if winterproofing the run would benifit the chickens as I was thinking?

And does anyone have any reccommendations of temporary winter/wind proofing that wouldnt be "ugly"?

View attachment 3314429View attachment 3314435View attachment 3314437View attachment 3314438
I use these transparent tarps on the sides of my run during the winter to keep out the wet snow. What I like about them is the chickens are still able to enjoy the sun and the view. It's a "less ugly" option than to tarp it in blue.

https://www.amazon.com/2ZJ68-Tarp-Polyethylene-Transparent-ft/dp/B0763JLKHF

Another idea that would keep it dry and look good is to put a temporary Canvas canopy over it. I have dark green and it looks good. I have 3 different types. The octagon/gazebo shaped is pretty and it has never crashed. Just yesterday in our first storm I added an easy up pop up type and it Epic failed, 1st day I had it, so save yourself from that kind...... I did not recommend wrapping in plastic because I feel like your family would not like the look. It truly not very attractive.

It won't really benefit the chickens as far as cold weather. They'll be just fine with temps in your area. They have the best down jackets available. Mine are freaked out by snow, so having a roof on the run allows them the extra space in snowy weather. If you want to keep some of the rain/snow out, the clear plastic/vinyl panels will work. It would probably work best to cover the open part of the roof and the bottom half of the walls.

You definitely don't need supplemental heat in your area. My B.O.'s don't even huddle tight together, on the roost, unless it's near single digits. A long as there is no draft at the roost level, they'll be cozy with your coldest nights.

Most people in this climate don't wrap their runs, it's not necessary. Heat is also not needed. We simply don't get cold enough for long enough for it to be an issue assuming you have healthy teen/adult birds.
Alright, that makes me more comfortable then. Its my last 2 years with them and I want them to stay as happy and comfortable as can be!

"It's not the chips + weather, as wood chips are what everyone in my immediate area uses and deep litter is what's generally recommended for a wetter climate. It could be a drainage issue? Regardless, if you didn't like it, then don't use it. :)"

That makes total sense. I might have kept it if I freeranged them but there was too much mud and I had no money at the time for adding anything haha

It won't really benefit the chickens as far as cold weather. They'll be just fine with temps in your area. They have the best down jackets available. Mine are freaked out by snow, so having a roof on the run allows them the extra space in snowy weather. If you want to keep some of the rain/snow out, the clear plastic/vinyl panels will work. It would probably work best to cover the open part of the roof and the bottom half of the walls.

You definitely don't need supplemental heat in your area. My B.O.'s don't even huddle tight together, on the roost, unless it's near single digits. A long as there is no draft at the roost level, they'll be cozy with your coldest nights.
Okay! I'm glad i wont have to worry about them getting too cold. They were scared of the snow last year with us as well LOL! That would be a great idea. Would vinyl sheets on the lower halfs and clear polycarb panels for roofing work?
In your opinion, do you think covering the sides or roof would be most effective against the snow?

Alright good to know. I'll only be using supplemental heat with the cozy heater in freezing temps just because they used it last year in the run!

Okay! I'm glad i wont have to worry about them getting too cold. They were scared of the snow last year with us as well LOL! That would be a great idea. Would vinyl sheets on the lower halfs and clear polycarb panels for roofing work?
In your opinion, do you think covering the sides or roof would be most effective against the snow?

Alright good to know. I'll only be using supplemental heat with the cozy heater in freezing temps just because they used it last year in the run!
My run roof is the polycarbonate, corrugated panels. They work great. I still get snow that blows in from the sides, but it's not bad unless it's a huge blizzard.

I had wood chips last winter and it was a muddy stinking mess for me and the chickens! Just didnt work for my weather.

It could be a drainage issue?
Does the water puddle in the run when it rains hard?
Is the run ground higher than the surrounding ground,
so that water does not move into the run?
Did you use wood chippings from a tree trimmer or wood shavings from the farm store?

The wood chips need to be large and thick:
full

My run roof is the polycarbonate, corrugated panels. They work great. I still get snow that blows in from the sides, but it's not bad unless it's a huge blizzard.
sounds great, thanks for the insight! My goal is to stop MOST rain and snow so a temporary roof seems the best option for me right now :)

Does the water puddle in the run when it rains hard?
Is the run ground higher than the surrounding ground,
so that water does not move into the run?
Did you use wood chippings from a tree trimmer or wood shavings from the farm store?

The wood chips need to be large and thick:
The water never puddled with my old bark. The ground is on a bit of a slope that drains downward, against the wind. I used large mixed wood chips from one of our local landscape supply.. It ended up hardening into masses that stunk and turned to mud whenever it rained

Back
Top Bottom