Need help

Smokedog0352

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
I ordered some Dominique chicks and I received them yesterday I went and picked them up and put them in there brooder but I noticed one chick had a bad leg so I took him out from the other he keeps his leg up off the ground and it's kinda twisted is there anything I can do to help him ?
IMG_20180323_091234751.jpg
IMG_20180323_091221246.jpg

Keep her separated. If you ease the leg down straight, does it seem painful for the chick? I'm thinking you could make a splint to keep the leg in place. Also give Nutridrench in case this is due to a vitamin deficiency. Put a drop directly in her mouth. It absorbs on contact with mouth lining.

Treatment of Lame Birds If lameness occurs, remove the bird from the rest of the flock and raise in a small pen with easy access to fresh water and feed to limit the birds movement. Allow the lame birds to get rest for a week or so and most times they will recover.
Do not put back with the rest of the flock until the lame bird can move easily and freely.
If the bird has badly straddled legs..., you can tape the legs together with a harness so that the legs must stay in the normal position.
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...mptomstreatments-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Last edited:
Keep her separated. If you ease the leg down straight, does it seem painful for the chick? I'm thinking you could make a splint to keep the leg in place. Also give Nutridrench in case this is due to a vitamin deficiency. Put a drop directly in her mouth. It absorbs on contact with mouth lining.

Treatment of Lame Birds If lameness occurs, remove the bird from the rest of the flock and raise in a small pen with easy access to fresh water and feed to limit the birds movement. Allow the lame birds to get rest for a week or so and most times they will recover.
Do not put back with the rest of the flock until the lame bird can move easily and freely.
If the bird has badly straddled legs..., you can tape the legs together with a harness so that the legs must stay in the normal position.
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...mptomstreatments-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html
He chirps repeatedly he isn't cold if I pick him up he stops chirping

Is it a matter of taking the weight off her leg when you pick her up? She is separated, but she still needs to be under a light, is she?
How old?

2 days and under a heat blub
Ok so did you try straightening her leg? How does she respond? If it doesn't hurt her you can try splinting the leg into a straight position. I'll see if I can find an example.
Is everything else ok - can she eat and drink, is she pooping?

Back
Top Bottom