Need Help

Rivergirl06

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
I had a death in my coop, what I thought was a hen turned out to be a rooster because I found it dead from an apparent Rooster fight. My hens are upset and I don't know what to do, they are 7 months old and my first time raising chickens. So I wasn't sure how to tell a rooster from a hen in a bared rock, they don't have their combs or waddles yet. I have a large rooster and I think it's a road island red, I hatched them myself. I go out everyday to throw grain for them and fill up there food container and collect eggs, my hens will not go in the area where I found the dead bird, is there anything I can do to calm them down or will they forget in time ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you !!!!

I am so sorry for the loss! Does it have any visible wounds? I have never had any of my chickens kill each other, but I know it’s possible (especially if your road island roo is much bigger than this youngster). Could you possibly send a picture of the dead chicken? It was most likely a roo if it died from a fight. It is odd that the rest of the flock are afraid of the area where it died. Maybe someone with experience in this area will be able to help you more! I’ve hardly ever had more than one rooster at a time for this reason.

I am so sorry for the loss! Does it have any visible wounds? I have never had any of my chickens kill each other, but I know it’s possible (especially if your road island roo is much bigger than this youngster). Could you possibly send a picture of the dead chicken? It was most likely a roo if it died from a fight. It is odd that the rest of the flock are afraid of the area where it died. Maybe someone with experience in this area will be able to help you more! I’ve hardly ever had more than one rooster at a time for this reason.
I had twelve roosters that hatch and 9 hens, I thought I had gotten rid of all the roosters but one, I don't have any pictures but it was bad, the dead one had the back of it's neck pecked all the way to the bone and a hole in its side the size of a golf ball. My big rooster is fine, no visible injuries. Nothing can get in the coop or chicken run it's pretty much preditar proof. My boyfriend welded me a coop with an attached run and it's double wired with panels with a foot of thick wire all around the bottom on the outside.

At least it was a bird you didn’t really want, and it is also nice to know that it was not a predator. I wish you the best with your flock! Hopefully that violent streak in your roo is gone now since he has all the ladies to himself!😂

Back
Top Bottom