Need Help

chicken75

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Hello every one i'm new two this and I have a qustion about my duck, She's starting to lay eggs again and she made a nest and theirs two eggs in it and I walked in to the duck place and the two eggs were laying on the floor out of the nest so I put them back in the nest. Does this mean she dosn't want to start sitting yet or what? Please help me

She will probably move around her eggs and lay them in all different places until she finds a spot that she really likes. After only two eggs she won't want to sit. Most likely if she does go broody then she won't until she has a full clutch layed. My female has been laying for a few months now and never has even tempted to go broody. So your girl might not even want to go broody, just lay her eggs and be done with it.

What breed is she?

You can leave the eggs there and see if she will adventual sit. You could go out there and number her eggs that she has layed so far. Everyday nuber the new egg. Once she has layed about 10 eggs (I think scovies like at wait until they have a nice size clutch) and she isn't setting then you can just take away the older eggs. The eggs will still be good to eat after that time if you eat them. So if you are marking them you now which are the older and you can make sure to take those.

Then again she might not go broody until she has been laying for a while during this season. And she might not even even want to be broody.

So basicaly I would just leave her eggs where she lays them if she keeps laying them in a certain spot. If she is laying them all over the place. Like two eggs in one spot then two eggs in another spot then I would just pick them up until she keeps laying in once spot.

If/when she goes broody you will know she won't get up off of those eggs.

Just a silly quesion but so you know for sure they are fertile.
hide.gif

Thank you for your advise. And yes the eggs are fertile because I have two males with her because she's the only female that we have because we got three from my neighber and he didn't know with they were boys or girls so we just took three of them and it turns out that there 2 males and 1 female. Also because the males get her at least every hour.

Scovies are a very broody breed so your hen will sit once she has a nice clutch of 10-20 eggs. BUT you need to either rehome one of your drakes, send him to freezer camp or get some more Scovy hens. ASAP! Seriously, your going to have a very stressed out hen, over bred and hurt and those two boys will be fighting over her with you or eachother, if they haven't done so already. For Scovies you want a ratio of 1 drake for 3-10 hens.

Back
Top Bottom