Need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Feb 13, 2012.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    I have a broody hen, and she has been like since around Friday. I held her up, and husband said she has picked her belly feathers, and I could actually feel the bare skin when I lifted her off the nest. Neither of us are home during the day, so we cant remove eggs. She has also not laid an egg, is that normal of a broody. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also, we have no Roo, so we have no reason to let her stay broody.

2. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    My Australorp went broody at the begining of December she also pulled all of her belly feathers out. I do not have a rooster either, but sometimes it just happens. I got her some fertilized eggs and she sat on them for about 4 days got bored and never went back. but it also took her until last week to start laying again. I am not sure if it was because she was still "broody" or winter and the days shorter because the other hen stopped laying as well. They have a great thread here call "Old fasioned Broody forum" It is really good and they can answer any question you have. Good Luck :) [​IMG] I can't wait until she does it again, this time I made her a broody box and run.

3. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    this is really starting to affect the others egg laying. the other hens have been steady with an egg a day, but now im lucky to get 2 in all.

4. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    ok, so here is what i just did. tell me if you think it will work. i set up my dog crate in the shed. didnt put any straw down, but gave food and water. turned off the light and shut the door. she now has no access to the nesting boxes or other hens. think it might break her broodiness?

5. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    That should help, but ya might put a light on for her( sounds like chicken torture) hehehe. hopefully it will help stop it. You did right by removing her from her usual nesting box for sure. Hope it takes effect in a day or two. It took my hen almost 2 months to start laying again but that was my first broody hen I know there are more folks with A LOT more experience than me on the matter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by