need help

jamiesc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
I brought ex battery hens about 8 months ago and on the weekend my brother was riding the motobike and accidentally hit one of my girls and I susspect its a broken leg she stands up holding it up but when I lift her up her legs just flops around :/ I dont want to get her uthanised cause they have had a hard life and I dont have money to take her to the vet and get it fixed cause of hard times is there anything I can do and can I help it healit happened yesterday
Can anyone help me any help much appreciated
Regards jamie

That's disappointing. If you don't have money for vets then don't get a pet! With broken bones, they won't heal themselves. I don't know what to do other than consult a vet for better information. I understand if your trying to rescue the hens, but money is a necessity for pets, no matter what. If you don't have the money, don't get the pet. Simple.

Last edited:
Hello, Jamie, and welcome to BYC.

I had a hen that I think broke her leg or maybe even her pelvis and recovered. I kept her in a large dog crate with lots of shavings so she would be comfortable. I put food and water in cups attached to the door so that she wouldn't have to get up to reach them. It took a little over two months.

You will have to very gently wrap her in a towel (covering her head,) so you can examine her leg. If you can stabilize it, use something stiff but not rough and not too long. It should extend above and below the break, but not past a joint and it should not poke her when she lays down. It sounds like the break may be in her hip joint and if so, will be very difficult to correct.

You can try to help her but please understand that sometimes they deserve the kindness of euthanasia, because she had a rough life already, and shouldn't have to suffer through a broken bone just so that you do not feel bad.

Ive got money to get her uthanised but it was last resort
I was just asking if there was anything I can do to heal her leg like a splint with bandages or somewhat not to get kicked while im down

I was not kicking you, I was sincerely trying to help. I'm sorry that you felt that way.

Good luck with her.

Your response was great, Wisher - I think that OP was likely responding to Feathery Feets rather unhelpful response.

OP - Wisher is spot on with the advice as to possible home treatment for such an injury - and that if the break is in a bad spot that there isn't much to be done but the kindness of a relief of suffering. If you aren't 100% sure of the break you can try keeping the bird in a quiet, dark place for a day or two to see if it is only soft tissue damage and she starts to show recovery - if she doesn't start to recover, though, you will be back at the point of determining the best course of action and whether euthanizing is best.

Last edited:
Your response was great, Wisher - I think that OP was likely responding to Feathery Feets rather unhelpful response.

I'm sorry if I was unhelpful. I am just giving my opinion away. I go through a lot if people with their pets dying because they couldn't afford vet bills. I am sorry for being myself, way too harsh.

OP - Wisher is spot on with the advice as to possible home treatment for such an injury - and that if the break is in a bad spot that there isn't much to be done but the kindness of a relief of suffering. If you aren't 100% sure of the break you can try keeping the bird in a quiet, dark place for a day or two to see if it is only soft tissue damage and she starts to show recovery - if she doesn't start to recover, though, you will be back at the point of determining the best course of action and whether euthanizing is best.

Im sorry I took it the wrong way wisher it that comment wasnt ment for you and I know I feel bad cause I cant afford the vet bills right now but I wasnt planning on one of my hens getting injured

And she lets me extand her lower leg out I thought she would of pulled or clucked if it was hurting but she was just sitting there quite could she be in pain that much shes not clucking?? Im not too sure

but shes still eating and drinking like she usually does and I put her in with my quails they dont annoy her and i put her in with heaps of sawdust so its nice and soft in a hutch

And im trying to figure if its a bad break or not I felt right up her leg she didnt move or pull away and lay on her side and let me do it but it may be bad news

Last edited:
Im sorry I took it the wrong way featheryfeet and I know I feel bad cause I cant afford the vet bills right now but I wasnt planning on one of my hens getting injured

And she lets me extand her lower leg out I thought she would of pulled or clucked if it was hurting but she was just sitting there quite could she be in pain that much shes not clucking?? Im not too sure

but shes still eating and drinking like she usually does and I put her in with my quails they dont annoy her and i put her in with heaps of sawdust so its nice and soft in a hutch

And im trying to figure if its a bad break or not I felt right up her leg she didnt move or pull away and lay on her side and let me do it but it may be bad news

I'm sorry, I feel guilty for being really harsh. It sounds good keeping her on the sawdust. Just make sure she won't have to walk a mile to the food and water. Keep it in close reach.

Back
Top Bottom